Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stalling problem - new rider - KLR650

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by renew490, Jan 5, 2014.

1. hi guys,

yesterday I went on my very first ride, on my new bike- 2001 klr 650. I was pretty nervous, but lucky I had a mate on another bike, who was pretty generous and agreed to come with me and help me get started. Was awesome. But..

My big problem was - I stalled quite a few times. Mate's advice was - don't close the throttle, keep the revs up and pull in the clutch if I need to 'not to accelerate', and just feather the clutch. We were going in 1st, doing laps in a suburbian area.

Whats the best way to help this stalling issue?
    Or is it a bit different on bikes like KLR?
    Should I try riding with choke open 30-50%?

Quite keen to get going on bigger roads, but not feeling quite safe yet. Maybe I should get a professional trainer to come and do a 2 hr lesson with me? I'd love to do training at Homebush (or St Ives HART) but the problem is - how to get there safely?...

2. Have you driven a manual car before? Its really just practice, slowly let out the clutch while you give it a little bit of gas. With good clutch control you should be able to take off without and throttle.

Don't ride with the choke on it will foul your spark plugs.

Just another tip until you can confidently take off without stalling the bike try not to start from a stand still and go straight into a corner, a lot of learners drop their bikes doing it because they stall half way round the corner.
  3. Go back to the start with your L's course. Find that friction point and get used to it with a bit of throttle.
    You can "ride" that friction pint. Pull the clutch back in just a little if the revs die. Up with the throttle too. You'll get the hang of it.

btw: expect this thread to be moved. It belongs in "New Riders and Riding Tips".
  4. Apply some throttle, then slowly let out the clutch until the bike start moving. You can hold the clutch at this point for a bit for the bike to catch some speed if you want. Then slowly let out the clutch all the way.

Keep the throttle at the same position throughout the whole process. At low speed use the clutch + rear brake to control your speed. Just practice stop & start up and down your street.

If you have to turn from a stop, like at a small intersection, turn the handlebar into the direction you want to turn before accelerating. But if you stall while the handlebar is turned the bike will fall over very quickly, so be careful.
  5. With my klr I find it needs either a bit more throttle or slip the clutch slower than other bikes
  6. Don't be afraid to use a few revs off the line and be gentle with the clutch. Most bikes have a wet plate clutch so it's not harmful to slip it more than you would on a car.
  7. I owned/rode both the first KLR650 from 1989 & the KLX650 (electric start) from 1996.
    Big singles like these require more finesse with clutch/throttle than multicylinders bikes, as they have such a narrow range of usable power, and that large single piston flaying around in the wide bore has a personality all its own making smooth take offs & slow riding complicated.
    Funny enough the hardest thing to do well on a motorbike is to ride slowly, any idiot can go fast, as speed looks after all the difficult stuff like balance, smoothness & momentum.
  8. sorry.

workshop/garage // maintenance and servicing?..

I tried to find "New riders tips" forum, but couldn't find it.

thanks to everyone for your kind replies. Will work through them and try to implement and get used to klr specific issues.
  9. great! cheers
  10. I had the same issue (great stalling in the middle of an intersection!) but what I learnt was the throttle stays at a set power and the clutch controls speed. When I was driving a manual car the instructor said get the revs to 1500 then release the clutch and that's not a bad idea with the bike either. Get the revs a little higher (say 2500rpm) and keep them there using the clutch to allow forward momentum.

Thats how it worked for me...

Cheers Spock
  11. thanks, yeah, will be trying to keep the revs up and using the clutch to control the speed. I think I was letting revs drop, like taking my foot off accelerator when driving my manual car, and that was causing stalling.

I didn't have this problem in the Ls course using VTR250..
    Sound like KLRs (2001) might be a bit harde to learn on? Hope I get used to it.
  12. another question - if I should keep the revs up constantly to prevent stalling, whats the best approach to using the front brake? Trying to keep the throttle open and reaching for the brake at the same time?
  13. Bzzzzzt, there seems to have been a misunderstanding. In normal riding, throttle off, brakes on.
    You just choose a gear that lets the engine run in the middle of the rev range, IE. going slow, choose a low gear so you're doing at least 3000 RPM.
    If going very slowly, use a bit of clutch to stop the motor revving too slowly and starting to chug and lurch. At these low speeds the rear brake is your friend. Low speed manouvering, u-turns, etc are best done in first gear, moderate revs, a bit of clutch slip and a bit of rear brake drag to settle the suspension and maintain steady driving force. You don't normally use throttle and front brake together (apart from blipping to rev match on down changes).

14. ok thanks, will try this.
  15. just wanted to say thanks again to everyone. tips have been very helpful.
    Been for a few small rides now, and seem to stall less and less.
  16. if you are having issues with the clutch also try to readjust the clutch cable so that it is more suited to your hand size and strength.

You may need to adjust your clutch closer to the handle so that you can control the friction point without straining your hand - put the clutch friction point into a zone where your hand grip is stronger for more control.

If you can control the clutch easier, then holding/using the friction point will make take off easier.

Some levers have a dial to move the lever in/out from the handle without adjusting the cable.
  17. cool, thanks for the tip. Planning to take it ot a mechanic for a check, and might ask him to check the clutch too, and maybe adjust.