Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stalling & backfiring

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Jedijac, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Hi everyone
    I have a K4 GSXR 1000.
    Recently my bike is experiencing the following symptoms.
    1. When slowing down, my speed will be approx 20-25 km/hr, I clutch in...it stalls. Starting is not an issue.
    2. When in neutral and idling, if I give it a rev, it stalls.
    3. Every so often it backfires when engine braking.

I have just put in a 2nd dose of Liqui Moly Fuel System Cleaner/Conditioner.

The problem still seems to be there.

Any ideas on how to fix?

Many thanks in advance.
  2. I had a problem just like that with my petrol land cruiser when traverling through cape York , turned out that the air intake duct had a crack after the cleaner housing. This caused dust to enter the throttle housing and close down the air flow past the butterfly that has a very small clearance at idle. This reduced clearance fooled the sensor to believe that the motor had been shut down when deceleration occurred quickly.
    So check the air intake is clean.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks Azza.
    I will put it on the list of possibles.
  4. Adjusted idle up (which was sitting on 850-900 rpm) to approx 1150-1200 rpm and all fixed.
  5. That sounds about right. Anything under 1000 is a bit low in my view for an engine of that type. I think my Bandit idles at around 1100, a little faster when cold.