Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stalling a lot

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by corvus, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Hi,

I have zero history in anything remotely mechanical, and in the past zero interest in it. I know next to nothing about my bike, but I'd like to try to understand it a bit.

It is a 2002 BMW F650 CS. It has done about 8000 kms. I bought it about 6 months ago. I suspect it has had very little servicing at least for the last few years. The guy I bought it off said he changed the oil and topped things up regularly, but hadn't needed to do anything else.

When I first got it it ran very smoothly in the lower gears, but lately she's been a bit rough and I've noticed that if I speed up fast she sometimes misses a bit and not as responsive as usual. On the weekend I was stalling it a lot in first gear, which I hardly ever do. Then yesterday when I tried to start the bike it was turning over and catching, but would stall as soon as I took my finger off the starter. I tried about a half dozen times and tried giving it a rev but it wouldn't stick and didn't sound happy so I quit, put it on the charger overnight, and tried again this afternoon. It started all right today, but seemed on the verge of stalling while it was sitting there idling.

I am guessing that it probably needs a good service and a lot of bits cleaned up, but is there anything else that could be accounting for this problem?

2. You're probably right, it needs a good service. You could try changing the sparkplug and see if that helps, its the most likely candidate and cheap and easy to change...nothing to lose!

3. Mate, take it to a proper workshop, and have it looked at properly. It might just save your life.

4. +1

5. I'm not a BMW expert, but I suggest that you take it to one. I always suggest that when a rider gets a new bike , it's worth getting a professional service, covering everything, just to 'draw a line in the sand' and start out with a 'known' machine.

Then, unlike the previous owner, it seems, get it serviced regularly.

I could say that if the bike was sitting for a while before you bought it it could have gunk in the carbies from old fuel, but that would just be a guess.