Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by bookofromans, Jun 27, 2006.

1. damn man had my fist stack! the road was wet and i went to do a left turn and the bike slipped under me! gahh!! i'm all good though, my fairings are buggered though, everything else is good, fortunately. but man i wasn't even doing anything stupid! can't believe it! lose soo much traction when it's wet :( need more wet weather practice :cry:

now im scared about the wetness and now that i think of it, what about doing a right turn on a round about thats high crown? im sure to slip :(

2. damn man.. not good to hear.. at least you are okay.. it cold have been alot worse.

im not the best or most experienced rider to be answering your questions.. but i think 1 thing is not to question yourself too much.. its not going to happen every time you get on a bike.. if you made a mistake this time.. learn the lesson and take it on board.
    maybe you hit a white line? or an oil patch? if so maybe you need to be a little more observant on the road.. and take i a little slower.. i dunno..
  3. bad luck mate - you just gotta take it really easy round corners in greasy conditions. There is only generally two ways to find out the limit of your traction -
    1) extensive scientific research and computer simulation
    2) stack

hope you are up and running soon.
  4. It's worth remembering that cold tyres on a wet road are much more slippery than warm ones. Get straight back on and ride, rain or not. You'll naturally be more careful for a while, but remember everything you can about the accident and make sure you learn from it.
  5. Wot Loz said!

in the wet, stay on the tintops tyre tracks, don't ride in the centre of the lane.
    first rain after a dry brings all the oil to the surface.
    keep it smooth, the bike as upright as possible (ie minimal lean).

Glad your OK, you will be tentative for awhile, but the confidence will return.

best thing is that confidence comes with practice, and practise means you get to ride the bike more... WINNER!!!
  6. Keep and eye out for diesel spills and crap on the roads approaching intersections...I hit a patch pulling up to lights the other day and even braking lightly had the rear locked up and wiggling before releasing and re applying it. Also watch for the white lines...VERY slippery in the wet.

I ride pretty conservatively in the wet as your margin for error is a lot less...also wet weather brings out the worst cagers too so i like to have a bit of extra space. As Loz said get back on and get back out there :)
  7. and watch out for those damn 40km/h school zone signs painted on the road....they take up half the lane and like ice in the wet.
  8. At least you're alright, it happens to everyone. Just count yourself lucky that it was a minor stack, and live and learn. Don't be too hard on yourself, there is no other way to find the limits when you're learning.

Back on your bike. It can be a little intimidating at first, but the quicker you get back out there, the more you'll learn from the stack.

Roundabouts: learn to counterlean if it's slippery, this keeps more weight directly above the tyre contact patch (for practice, try getting on a pushbike and going round in circles in only the bikes length, same principle).
  9. All of the above plus remember this is Melbourne so you'll get a lot more wet weather practice before winter is over! I don't like wet weather either but don't let it make my descisions for me! every experience is a learning opportunity but sometimes you'll be happier to see your front door than ever before!
  10. Good to hear that you're Ok. Treat that as part of the learning process.

As been said before... Get back on your bike... rain or shine.
  11. unlucky, but at least ur ok. and for the crap on the road, i must say i hate the black stuff they put on the road (especially the ones on the monash). been riding the monash frequently lately and the other nite had a few scarry moments
  12. Every thing above
    remember why you ride a bike in the first place.
    last but not least, spend good money on good tyres, its the only thing between your butt and the road. I've been on two wheels for 20 years and i can assure you there is a big differance between good rubber and cheap rubber.
    have a yack to your local shop and in your area i'd look at a set of pirelli's
  13. Im glad to hear your ok..I agree with all the advice given but you might want to check your tyre pressures..

I always increase my tyre pressure a few psi during wet weather.. If your tyres are "flat" the tread cant pump the water out from under the tyre as easy..

Take it easy..
  14. Sorry to hear about your off..... I noticed that wet weather really brings out the condition and setting in tyres.... I actually changed my rear tyre (front was almost new) during last winter, and found it, certainly improved grip in the wet.... so maybe something else to go check, because as tyres get old they harden, and therefore do lose grip. But yeah like everyone else said, what for oil, and reduce your lean

safe riding cheers stewy
  15. Lousy luck, as has been said get straight back on and don't let it beat you. I remember sitting at a set of lights earlier this year in the heaviest rain we have had this year and a guy who obviously has been doing it for a lot longer than me pulled up beside me -told it was my first major rain ride - his answer was "doing everything smooth and watch out for the white Sh#t (paint) and tram lines" Good advice.
  16. Unlucky mate

Also when ridding in the rain or wet conditions ride in the tyre track of cagers not in the middle as I have seen so many do all the oil that leaks from the cars diff,motor,transmission ends up in the middle of the road
  17. haha thanks for the condolences :p haha no really, thanks for the encouraging words. I'm riding again after i just fixed my bike :) but thing is every time im doing a left turn i feel like im gonna slip. Is my bike bent? it doesn't look like it, and right turns are still normal. or it's all in my head haha.

i think i leaned too much. left corners are tighter and i leant too much. could it be possible i locked up my rear wheel as well? darn! i abit anxious about lefties lol

and another thing! 250's are dangerous right? the wheels aren't big enough, so less traction = dangerous! lol who agrees? :p
  18. Absolutely no offence intended, but it sounds like you could do with a bit more rider training. It worries me that you don't know where you went wrong, and so how to stop it happening next time, and that you were using the rear brake mid-corner in the wet.

Also, left corners are usually far easier to negotiate, rather than off-camber right turns, so not sure why the bike feels odd turning left. Maybe get someone to check whetehr tha bars are straight, and subframe, etc isn't bent.

I'ts simple geometry and physics, not rocket science. Once it's been explained to you by someone that's qualified to do so, you'll have a heap more confidence.

Perhaps look into some of the courses that are offered like at the top of this page. I don't know how long you've been riding for (not much I'm guessing), perhaps you just need a heap more experience.

Only wet tram tracks in Melbourne make me wary, the rest of the time I can just ride around in 'wet' mode. You'd be suprised at just how much you can push the bike in the wet, but body position and other aspects need to change to accomodate the decrease in traction.
  19. Skinny tyres doesnt mean more dangerous.
    250's dont have massive tyres because they dont have the same amount of power as a big bike with fat tyres.

The bigger more powerfull bikes would just spin the rear wheel all over the place trying to put the power down, so they compensate with more rubber on the road.

People have been riding 250's and older bikes with skinny rubber for as long as bikes have been around. Its not the tyre width that has caused you to fall, could be the tyre condition. More likely rider condition. (no offence intended, but thats usually why anyone falls.)

Ask yourself a question. Do you feel like you can feel how much grip you have at any given time?
    If the answer is no, you need to be analyzing what your bike is telling you a LOT more. If you cant feel the nasty wet road is slippery before you get to the corner, your going to come a gutsa often.

That said, only practise and some rider training will help. So get back on the bike and keep learning.
  20. I agree whole heartly about the rubber you use. Never compromise on the front, there is a good chance you can save the rear if it lets go but not the front. Usually and as you have unfortunately found out once the front goes its usually gone. I use the stickiest tyres I can on the front always.

Dont give up but as you will get your confidence back and hey being extra cautious isnt a bad thing.

Chin up mate and good luck!