Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stacked streetfighter > lets make it meaner

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Maetrik, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Alright so i stacked my Suzuki SFV650 Streetfighter just before NYE 2010, shattering to say the least.

This is what it looked like before i stacked it.

Basically the whole upper front end got smashed up, lights, left handlebar assembly, including mirror and clutch assembly, clip on got completely bent. No insurance and it wouldn't start so i let it sit for a bit really pissed off.

Me and a mate were looking at it recently and realised that we were (or i was) stupid to just leave it there and that i could fix 90% of it myself.I'm comin back with a bang on this one. Just ordered a new headlight below, which im in love with just quietly.

Given the sharper lines, im going to look for an SV bellypan, hopefully to continue the sharper lines at the front. Long term goal is to chop the tail as well, make it a bit sharper as it has a ton of room for a pillion and i simply don't carry one. Also opting for a Dunlop Q2 on the back, same tyre thats on there now and i really rate them.

Also have a Leo Vince midpipe im chucking on, add to that an unrestricted ECU and a power commander, some remapping and a dyno and i think it will be one of the best Gladius' going around. Can't wait to get it back on the road again.

I also am thinking of getting either a decal or some sort of crafted metal piece in Japanese that says 'sword'. Gladius means sword in Japanese so i'd like to incorporate it somewhere.

I'll post pics as i go along, let me know your thoughts....hoping to get as much power as i possibly can with this, not just make it aesthetically pleasing.

2. Best of luck with that! :)

(By the way, Gladius is the Roman word for 'sword', Latin-ese not Japanese. It usually refers to the sword usually equipped by the army of Ancient Rome)
  3. +1 to spots.

I'm no expert but I thought the Japanese word for sword was Katana.

4. Sarcasm?

I've already got all the parts i need and a place where they're going to do all the remapping and testing for the ECU/Power commander. Bought the ECU directly off Suzuki for $1500, pricey but hey i'm willing to do it for the performance.

I read in a review that Gladius was Japanese for "Sword". I've been mislead. Ah well, i'll find something else to suit the name.
  5. As for the back, my best mate is a sheet metal engineer, so it shouldn't be too hard welding up some tube and cutting the tail down to a mad size, however thats further down the track when this bike is my hobby not my commuter.
  6. Been seeing that headlight sold on an overseas forum I browse and looks good. Got a screen and hid on my bike so may give that front conversion a go on a future bike. Good luck with bringing the sf back to life.
  7. Yeah i considered selling it, but i want this to turn in to a fully custom bike over the next few years.

I'll probably upgrade to a Triumph Daytona 675 next year but i'll keep tinkering away at the Gladius. Only for the fact that they look so disgraceful stock, i am determined to make it look as mean as possible and think it looked pretty decent before the crash. All it needed then was the performance upgrades.
  8. It's your bike and the sky is the limit. I say customise it to your hearts content whether aesthetics of performance.
  9. Thats it, at the end of the day its still a great bike performance wise so without all the flashy streetfighter attachments it still rides like a dream.
  10. Post up some more pics as it goes together - looks good.

btw, gladius was also roman slang for...well...the gladiator's 'other' weapon...
  11. I didn't mean to sound sarcastic and I apologise if it came across that way.

For a long time I've been thinking of buying a binned sportsbike and going the bare-bones streetfighter route for a commuter/weekend thing and I genuinely enjoy seeing other people making their own. :) It should be a fun bike (again) when it's done.
  12. Some pics pre crash.

13. All good, i thought you were laughing at my ECU/Power commander talk, alot of Learners speak about getting it done and don't really know what they're on about, i just wanted to clarify that im definitely going ahead with it.

14. Nice like the pipe and looking forward to it's build. That new front is going to look good. Do you know of any places that I can check out suitable streetfighter style light covers for a retro single headlight?
  15. Have seen that thread and looks neat. The rear end is an angry looking thing.
  16. Hell yeah, thats exactly what i want to do to mine. I find the headlight can really define a bike, if its sharp and the rest of the bike is just smooth lines it looks strange.

I used to hate belly pans, i loved the 'rawness' of the exposed engine but i think with this new headlight a bellypan would suit. That tail is exactly what i want, i didn't even realise when i posted the link but its given me ideas.

17. According to the thread it's the rear fairing of a R6. I was looking in to bellypans too but my aftermarket pipes are low and scrape at times so no go.
  18. Got a better shot of the pipes? There is always a way around these things.
  19. Reminds me of a friends saying "democracy never runs out of solutions"