Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by basejumper, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Crap day. I'm following my mate today to give him a ride back from the dealer as he's trading his hayabusa in. We had been riding for about an hour and I'm following. I've always been careful to follow back and to the side of him. He's kind of lost and were coming up to set of lights that I thought we may be turning right. We go past 3 cars stopped in right turning lane. We're cruising and suddenly he jams on the brakes to stop (illegally) infront of the row of cars turning right. I hit front brakes on non abs night rod and go down and up his ass hard. I don't think any harley was going to stop as well as that busa. I should have been further back. We're a bit bruised and busa slid on side. Night rod has bent forks and scraped all way up the side. Feel so bad for him. He really looked after that busa. I've admitted fault and am paying excess but I wonder what a cop would say if he saw the incident.

2. Bad luck matey, glad you you're both ok. The cop would say you ran into the back of him so you are at fault would be my guess.
  3. if your insurance company requires a police report, the cops may go all neg driving on your arse...
  4. I know I ran up his ass but I just wondered how illegal the move made by the person in front has to be before some fault is placed on them. My first thought was let's get the hell out of here before the cops come. My mate said a cop went past while we were looking at our bikes but didnt give a stuff.
  5. I'm not an expert but I think the legality of his actions are irrelevant. You hit him.
  6. Not necessarily so, particularly in insurance situations. Apportioned blame may be allocated Insurance companies generally horse trade between themselves when apportioning blame and avoid legal determinations if they can. As @Justus@Justus has said elsewhere it is not the responsibility of the Police to apportion blame in an accident. The can and will issue a TIN to individual parties if any of the actions contravenes a law. So the OP could be hit with Rule 126

A driver must drive a sufficient distance behind a vehicle travelling in front of the driver so the driver can, if necessary, stop safely to avoid a collision with the vehicle.

Hi friend could get something from Div 3 overtaking or Div 4 Driving in Marked Lanes.

No one hurt best to stay away from the Police.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sorry to hear about your stack, shitty situation for you and your mate.

hope it all gets sorted out quick :)
  8. Try putting your insurance through without a police report. I've had a few claims go through without the report.

If they insist you put in a report; nobody was injured and both bikes could be ridden away from the accident.
  9. Forget he's your mate.

You're in the right lane, going straight ahead.

He's in the right lane, also supposed to be going straight ahead as it's a straight ahead lane, and it's divided by a solid line from the turning lane. He decides to turn right and hits the anchors to turn right, and you go up his arse.

Now, he has done something illegal which you should not have anticipated.

However, you should also have been maintaining a safe distance from the vehicle in front, which basically should allow you to stop regardless of what the vehicle in front does.

Who's in the wrong?

You. You went up his arse, and you should have been keeping a safe distance which allows you to keep away from any vehicle in front of you, even if a brick wall were to emerge in front of them.

Sorry mate, it's your fault.
    • Agree Agree x 1