Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

St Patrick's Day

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Nixy V3, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Top o' the day to you !

May your joys be deep and many,
    May your heart be light and glad,
    May you have the best St. Patrick's Day
    That you've ever had

Some facts & fiction:

St. Patrick's Day honours St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland with March 17 being the day he died. Most scholars believe he was born in the year 385 AD and died in 461 AD and was kidnapped when young to become a slave, then sold to a land owner where he spent many years alone as a shepherd. Later he studied and became a priest, travelling Ireland teaching people about religion and most his most famous claim to fame being driving all snakes out of Ireland.

St. Patrick's Day celebrations include parades, dancing Irish jigs, singing Irish songs & consuming plenty of hearty Irish food, beers & Guinness. People wear the colour green in memory of Ireland, the Emerald Isle, that also symbolises the birth of springtime. Irish legend also states that green clothes attract faeries and aid crops.

Leprechauns are little shoemaking fairies that live in Ireland who have hidden and protected a large amount of gold for centuries. If you can find and catch a leprechaun he is obliged to reveal the location of the gold but beware because if at any time you let him or the gold out of your sight they will both disappear!

The Shamrock is a three-leafed clover that grows in Ireland. A common image in Celtic artwork, the shamrock is found on Irish medieval tombs and on old copper coins, known as St. Patrick's money. The plant is also reputed to have mystic, even prophetic powers as the leaves are said to stand upright to warn of an approaching storm.

A four leaf clover is said to be very lucky find indeed as one leaf is for Hope, the second for Faith, the third for Love and the fourth for Luck.

The Blarney stone is set in the tower wall of Blarney Castle, built 1446 A.D. in the village of Blarney, County of Cork, Ireland.

Kissing the Blarney originated from when English Monarchs tried to impose their will and demand taking tenure of Blarney Castle. Cormac MacDermont MacCarthy, Lord of Blarney, started his journey to argue and refuse the order however was fearful of success due to not being fluent in speech to state his case. Upon his journey he met an old women who told him of a secret stone placed in the walls of Blarney Castle when it was built. If he could return and kiss that stone, the gift of eloquence (Blarney) will be bestowed upon him. Cormac did so then upon meeting the Queen was able to address her with soft and fair speech never having to renounce his right to his land.

So who is wearing some green today ?
    Anyone know any more facts/fiction or even some good ol' Irish jokes ?

2. why does an irish man wear 3 condoms.....

to be sure
    to be sure
    to be sure...... :LOL: :LOL:
  3. aaahhhh celtic music all day and no-one to tell me to turn on some decent doof doof

:woot: :woot: :woot:
  4. :LOL:
  5. Happy St. Pat's Day everyone :grin:

And it's my Dad's birthday, so .... Happy Birthday, Dad!

6. it's funny that a day for a saint turned into a huge piss up.

i LOVE the joke!
  7. wot?? nobody told me.......i better get some beer :bolt:
  8. I honoured St Patrick's by cooking:

1) Cheng's Lucky Irish potato salad - normal boiled potatos, tainted green with a dressing of mashed peppery rocket and whole-egg mayo. Rocket leaves, 3/4-boiled eggs and bacon sprinkled on top. Nearly served with chips.

2) Shepherds' pie. That's what caused the Sauce of all Evil incident.

Also purposely wore red to the pub for that Christmas in March effect.
  9. Well I listened to my best of The Pogues album to get me in the mood, then went to the pub and said 'potato' alot. :LOL:
  10. Awwwww, that's so cute. I set it as my wallpaper :grin:
  11. :LOL: funny pic ! does it talk? :LOL: :p
  12. I drunk beer with a green label.
  13. Thats me every day........ i don't own any doof doof. Plenty of Celtic and folky though :grin:
  14. the 'joys' of living with teenagers.....doof doof doof.......(although i have to admit i'm almost gettin used to it :shock: )