Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

St Andrews-Kinglake Road (D'oh)

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Cambo, Aug 5, 2007.

1. I went for a ride with a few people yesterday and the route was heading to the black spur with a detour via kinglake along St Andrews-Kinglake Road.

We met at the Shell servo on the corner of Springvale and Whitehorse roads and I put air in the tyres. Had no idea how much air should be in the tyres, I pumped them up to 30psi. They were both registering at 20psi, so maybe that was my first indicator.

Whilst travelling through ringwood and then ringwood-warrandyte road, the tyres felt like they weren't sticking to the road and was moving about a little.

Passed through St Andrews and the first left hander is quickly followed by a right hander. Got around the left but felt like I was going too hot for the right. I'm not as comfortable on right handers as I am on left handers. Anyway, I know if it feels too hot to look where i want to go and push harder. However, despite knowing this, I did everything that I shouldn't do.

Firstly, I target fixated on where I was heading rather than where I was going. I tried to tip the bike over more instead of pushing harder on the right handlebar. I got to a point where I knew I was in deep Do-do and decided to stand the bike up and wipe off as much speed as possible. I'm not sure if the bike then threw me off or what, as I hit the road pretty darn hard on my right hand side, which I'm now wondering was because despite the bike standing up, the front wheel hit the loose gravel on the side of the road and then I lost the front end.

The damage, so far;

- Front end out of alignment
    - Right peg severley bent (needs replacing)
    - Rear Brake Lever severley bent (either straightening or replacing)
    - Front brake lever seems bent, but will have this investigated further.
    - some scratching on the tank and the rear seat cowl
    - minor scratching on the muffler

- Shoes, pant & jacket were all dri-rider and there is only scuffing
    - Gloves were week old Collins Leather SR4's and sustained only a small amount of scuffing;
    - Aria Helmet has some scratch marks on it. Not usre of the damage it has sustained and whether it should be replaced or not

- Sore Right knee
    - Sore Right hip
    - Sore Right shoulder
    - No Broken bits
    - No cut bits

All-in-all very lucky no major damage has been sustained. At least I got to walk/Ride away from the incident

Thanks to Mach for coming back and then straightening the front end so we could continue up to Kinglake. Thanks to Chef, Dot and fzpilot for then straightening the front end enough for me to then be able to ride the bike to the Black Spur and then home.

I'm still a fair bit sore today, but you would expect that. Lucky I fell on my right side as I am left handed and can still do stuff.

Now to get the bike fixed ASAP, so I can get back out there.
  2. Dont feel to bad there are plenty of victims on that road and im sure you wont be the last.As long as a lesson has been learnt them its all good. :grin:
  3. Cambo Cambo Cambo!!!!!

Bad luck mate. That is a tricky road.

Glad you're mostly OK.

Really feel for you mate. No doubt there'll be lessons to learn over a few beers with motorbike mates and in your quiet contemplative moments.

I know it'll be medicine after the fact, but tyre pressure basics and scratching go hand in hand. 20psi is way tooooo low for daily riding. 30 psi is standard for track day efforts IF you can get heat in the tyres. Mid 30's is probably OK for scratching if you're hooning.

There'll be a placard on the side of the swing arm or in your manual with recommended tyre pressures. On my 9R it's like 38 and 41 psi for general road use. I think the gpx250 had similar pressures.

Anyway - a non incriminatory question to get your contemplations going - WHY were you too hot especially considering you weren't feeling comfortable with your tyres???

Mend and repair quickly mate.

4. Ya should have gone with me :grin:
    told ya's i hate that road both directions

We are Pleased you are Ok
    you will prob sore be for a while yet darl

Bikes are Replacable human's arnt

i still stand by My offer ,But ya have to give em back :LOL:
    Fz has gone out again today
    me is resting up cause you wont take em for me :roll:

(blasted kitchen floors )

Exellent to Meet all that went on the ride
    lucky you'z missed the rain N fog i must have cleared it for you :shock:
  5. Hey Rob. I think it was coming out of the left hander it goes down hill and then up to the right. I usually ride at my level despite who is around and I was the last of 5 riders. I was trying to keep up with then a little which is strange as I normally dont let that bother me. I set the pace I am comfortable with, so will need to reflect on that a little bit more.

My wife made the comment that she thought I was getting a little bit cocky on the bike, so maybe that had something to do with it also.

I think it was a whole lot of little things that amounted into 1 big oh crap moment.

Anyway, we learn and move on applying what we learned.

The biggest learning item out of htis was not ot ride the St Andrew-Kinglake Road in a hurry. Even pottering around it on a busted bike was scary. Everytime I slowed or aplied the brake the bike would push me left which is over the side of hte "cliffs". :shock: :grin:
  6. Cambo :shock: Bugger mate, that's not fun at all. :(
    I know that corner well, and yes it is deceptively tricky. I'm glad you're not too badly injured. The bike can be fixed easily enough so don't stress about that. As long as you've got all your fingers and toes it was a good enough outcome. :)
    You seem to have figured out already what you did wrong so at least you've learned some lessons and have some things to practice when your bike is fixed. :)

You know better than that. [-X

Don't worry, we've all caught ourselves playing catch up at times before. Just take it at your own pace next time and you'll be fine. :)
  7. Bad luck Cambo. I know your pain and the questions going around in your head. Experience counts for most things but sometimes it's not enough and its a tough lesson for those just starting out.

Glad you're ok and as someone else said yor tyre pressure's should be in the upper 30's for most riding.
  8. Oh noes!

Tough luck Cambo, I had a similar experience (minus the stack) on the spur, scary stuff. Hope you and the bike pull up fine.

p.s. Nice bike :)
  9. Glad you're ok, at least it's on the 250 not the Duke.
  10. sounds like a scary road

glad ur ok dude
  11. :shock: Glad you're okay Cambo!!
  12. Kinglake is probably my fave road but it's pretty unforgiving.... I hope to get down there later in the year on Roxie for a blat.

Glad to hear you're ok.
  13. good to hear you are ok mate, but in my opinion that road is just NOT for learners. it has some serious corners and some serious consequences depending where you come off. not a lot of runoff around there. i got run into by a learner who ran straight across the wrong side of the road in front of me. he crapped himself coming into one of the 20km posted corners, didnt even try to turn, just locked up the back and rode straight across the road into the embankment, clipping me as he came through. dude was trying to keep up with his mates ........ not a good day.
  14. You did WHAT to the VTR!
    Glad hear you're ok there Cambo - as mentioned above, least it wasn't the Duc :)
    'Tis not my favourite bit of road either .....
    Hope we see you tuesday. BB
  15. Ahrrgg!...ack!...you went down, mate!!...Sorry to hear that...but pleased that you're alright..
    I can see that you're already contemplating the reasons in an effort to learn what you can from it, and that's great. Don't let it shake you...you're good on the bike, mate, and your skill level was up to the challenge...you misjudged, and we all do that! :eek: Chalk it up to a worthwhile experience, and once the bike is sorted, you'll be able to go back there and beat that corner by riding it the way you know you can. :grin:
    Gime a yell if I can help in any way mate...I'm not too far away from you.
  16. glad your ok,

I was going to try this stretch soon but might hold off for a while...
  17. i know that feeling buddy. there's a coupla right-handers up there that i take at about 20k :LOL: that almost-hairpin with an outlook over a huge vista of nothingness with an implied massive drop below gets me every time :?

glad you're alright buddy and thanks for your honesty. nice to know that others don't always react perfectly the way they know they should rather than blaming the road :wink:
  18. No joke had the exact same situation on the rgv, just have to practice those right handers :wink: Heal quick dude :grin:
  19. Oh Cambo, how silly of you.

It seems you must have been used to tyres that warmed up quick and stayed warm, if they were running at 20psi. They would have been a nice soft ride, with lots of grip 'cos they were hot, but must have felt spongey.

While you are fixing the bike, check all adjustments, the chain, and everything else, and read your bike manual, front to back ! Because if your tyres were so low, you probably weren't checking other stuff. I run my tyres at 36psi rear, 40psi front, in warm weather anyway. 20psi is just, well, soft.

The Kinglake run is a great road, but it does need respect. Most of those corners marked 20k or less (one 15k corner comes to mind) should actually be taken at the marked speed, or not much more anyway.

I think I know the right hander that you mention Carri, or at least one. It is marked 30k, and I often go around it at that, as any significant mistake and you'd be airborne off the edge. At the same time, there is often gravel on the corner, as it has a turn-around point on the North side, and a sort of parking area/lookout on the Southern side.

Anyway Cambo, I think you might have gotten off easy, but I'm glad you did. See you on the road, or at Tuesday coffee.
  20. Just caught up with this thread, sorry to hear about your off, but good to hear that you are okay, albeit a bit tender.

Hope you and bike are back to being 100% soon.