Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

SRX 250 Project

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by RavenHawk, Jul 22, 2008.

1. I'm looking to rebuild and do a project on a 1987 SRX 250.
    Anyone here have any experience with these?

2. Depends on the experience needed to help??

The SRX250 ... like all other single 250's ... are very simple motors. There really isn't that much too them ... single carb, single spark plug, two/four valves (depends on the bike) ... if you know a little about bike engines, it shouldn't be that hard to strip one down and re-build it.

So what is it that you need help on??

3. I'm actually not too worried about the engine. One of the reasons I picked this for my first project is because, as a single, I figured it would be pretty much as easy as it gets.
    What I'm looking for are some suggestions on modifications that can be done to it, and if anyone knows where I can find parts, since I'm having no luck finding any online, as well as what other bikes' parts might fit it.

4. As far as modifications go, it depends on how much money you are willing to spend. I could go on and on about all the different possibilities, but in the end, is it worth it?
    The best thing you could do to start with, is to strip the bike down, clean it and service it. Pull the carb off and give it a good going over. Clean and re-oil the air filter. Change the oil and oil-filter. Change the fuel-filter, drain the fuel tank and fill it with fresh fuel. Check the valve clearances. Re-grease all the moving parts. New chain and sprockets. Etc.
    After this, you will already find the bike will be nicer, both for riding and for looks.

If you really do want to modify the bike, I would start with an aftermarket/custom exhaust. Modify the airbox to allow more flow, then adjust the carb to ensure adequate fuel (rejet). You could change sprockets, although I found the SRX250's have a bit of trouble getting to 100 on stock gearing, so I would leave this alone.
    If you want the bike more comfortable then you could look at aftermarket clip-ons/risers (not sure what you would need) and rear-sets (footpegs).

5. Agree with G2teg, getting cleaner exhaust flow makes a difference. My old SRX had custom rebuild from manifold back and it made for smoother acceleration.

Have heard of some people getting the SRX600 engine and mounting it in the 250 chassis, but thats a bit of an extreme mod.

I had some plans for my old baby. Mostly just cleaning up the engine and frame. Alot of the electrics are a bit exposed, maybe worth running some rubber conduits around the tank and head tube. The seat is kinda narrow an I had some ideas about molding a new rear fairing/seat to make it a little more comfy.

Is it the naked or faired model?

6. Agree with G2teg, getting cleaner exhaust flow makes a difference. My old SRX had custom rebuild from manifold back and it made for smoother acceleration.

Have heard of some people getting the SRX600 engine and mounting it in the 250 chassis, but thats a bit of an extreme mod.

I had some plans for my old baby. Mostly just cleaning up the engine and frame. Alot of the electrics are a bit exposed, maybe worth running some rubber conduits around the tank and head tube. The seat is kinda narrow an I had some ideas about molding a new rear fairing/seat to make it a little more comfy.

Couple of good ideas here and here.

7. Thanks for the advice.
    It doesn't have a carb, so I just ordered a carb which I will be cleaning then mounting, but think I may have to take apart the engine and make sure nothing go in there with the carb off. Hope that isn't too much work.
    Like you suggested, I will definitely:
    Clean and re-oil the air filter.
    Change the oil and oil-filter.
    Change the fuel-filter, drain the fuel tank and fill it with fresh fuel.
    The tank has a dent, which is rusted. I'm thinking of taking it off, seeing if I can pound out the dent, then sanding the rust and old paint off and repainting it, and spraying in some of that protectant stuff on the inside. Sound good?
    I should probably, like you suggested:
    Check the valve clearances. Re-grease all the moving parts. New chain and sprockets. Not sure about the availability of new sprockets for it.

As for your other suggestions, they sound great, but I have no idea what aftermarket exhaust would fit the SRX250. Any ideas?
    I have no idea how to modify the airbox or adjust the carbs, to be honest, though I'm sure I should.

Thanks for all the advice. It's really appreciated.

8. I will definitely run some rubber conduits. That sounds like a no brainer as far as being a good idea, and should be pretty easy too.

I think I will keep the 250 engine, as long as I can get it to run. Part of the fun here, besides doing these modifications with my son (13), is to have a nice little 250 to play with, and then teach him to ride on. A big contrast to my R1.

9. It's the faired model, though it is missing the lower fairing (which I would love to replace, if I could find one for reasonably cheap), and the upper fairing has the entire back right section broken off, so the whole thing needs to come off.