Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sri Lankan Cricket Team fired upon. 8 wounded.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dougz, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Holy crap!!

Bet no-one is going to bag the Aussies for pulling out now. Seems the Security concerns were justified!

Let's hope they are all OK. Reports are coming through that Kumar Sangakarra and Jayawardena has been shot.

Also a report here
  2. It was only a matter of time, Dougal. 5 Coppers killed too.
  3. Bottom of that page, suggested links
    "sri lanka slaughters pakistan" referring to a previous game.
    Now thats irony.
  4. I guess it ends the debates about touring pakistan once and for all that come up every time a tournamnet is scheduled, also throws away the argument about even the terrorsits wouldnt harm revered cricketers lines that some pakistani officials use to say cricket tours would always be safe.
    i also hope the cricketers recover from there wounds and the people who sanctioned these tours explain to the policemans families why the tours are so damn important, it is only sport not worth risking a single innocent persons life just to show the world the government is in control not the terrorists
  5. They could probably still beat the aussies.
  6. If there's one thing that's more important than religion to Pakistanis, it's cricket. This is going to make some terrorists very, very unpopular.
  7. And you thought Victorians were passionate about football....
  8. i wonder if any of them would be willing to bowl for australia?
  9. shocking. but as said, was only a matter of time.

shame, pakistan seemed to be in decent touch for having played no tests for... however long it was :LOL:
  10. I think this will certainly spell the death-knell of cricket tours of Pakistan, if not of the whole sub-continent. Next World Cup on the sub-continent??? I don't think so, not now.
  11. I agree, Paul.
  12. All I remember seeing was the name T. Bayliss.....next thing I woke up on the loungeroom floor :-s 8-[
  13. so they are starting to relise that cricket is boring, it was their way of saying
    NO MORE!
  14. Of course given the situation in Sri Lanka, they could be Tamil Tigers as well. Whichever it is it's certainly going to make sure there's no international games played in Pakistan for a long time.
  15. I was discussing this matter with Mrs Hornet and also thought about the Tamil Tiger connection. It's a worry for international cricket either way, because the ICC depends on the sub-continent's money for its existence, so they can't afford to get the Pakistan/India/Sri Lanka connection out of favour.
  16. the players were just as shocked to be 5 down before lunch
  17. You're an idiot.

18. dont worry dougz, u know what its like here back in OZ, that sms went around faster than u can say boo
  19. Yep, guilty as charged, knew i shouldn't but just couldn't help myself