Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by smack, Jun 5, 2007.

1. After taking my time getting this thing done, I dropped it off at a workmates place to get some wiring redone. Showed him how to start it and off home I went. He rang me tonight. He started it and warmed it up, got out his magic probe stuff and measured the alternator output. All good there. Then he said it made a ping noise and the fire went out. Now it has no compression. The cam is turning, can see it in the siteglass. So it's not a cam chain problem.

This ones for JJ, after assembly, the decompression lever didn't do anything. I'm hoping that it's somehow now gone from not working, to permanently decompressing. I'll go have a look at it this weekend. Should be an easy fix.

The reason there is no rush on the rebuild is on Jan 1st 2008 it'll be 30 years old. 1/2 price rego in Tas.
  2. When is the next SR500 rally?
  3. "ping" noise??

Does it still have compression? Does it make more pings (scrapes, rattles, clunks etc) when kicked over?

Does it show any spark? (take the plug out and check) Is there any petrol in it?

Certainly possible that the decompression is now working, but I would have thought that would have happened earlier if it was the cause, ie when you were riding it a bit after the reassembly. I'm thinking it wouldn't "ping" but just lose power and die, with noticeable backfire, and the sound of air escaping the valves.

I'd suggest pulling the covers off and see whats happening with the valves and that decomp cam thingo.

Shouldn't be too hard to fix, there ain't much to an SR500 engine after all... or an srx600 either for that matter.
  4. I'll check it out when I get it back. Getting the sparktricks sorted then I'll get into the top end.

SR Rally is usually in Nov. I'm not a club member at the moment, so I don't get the newsletter anymore.
  5. tink... broken exhaust valve spring. Off with its head. $110 in parts, next rainy weekend