Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

SR250 idle problem

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by thecptn, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Long time no see :) ah yes, my workhorse seems to have gotten a bit of asthma, problem has been with idling, it either drops engine speed steadily till it cuts off, or it just revs really high, it mixes between those two, and can change any time during a ride, I adjusted idle speed, nothing, pulled the carb apart, fuel bowl seems clean, generally looks clean inside, diaphragm looks OK, no tears or any thing, floats look ok, they seem to move about freely, bit confused.. what else could it be? :?

2. air filter fine? no blockages?
    I take it from what you done that you have made sure the choke isn't stuck
  3. Could be the floats themselves getting stuck. or the float needle sticking.

Put a kit through the carbie. May have to get it from overseas.

also make sure all the fuel and vacuum lines are good and are sealing on spigots properly. Tank vent is clear too.

still I'd bet on the float.
  4. SR

Could also be a blocked pilot jet. Pull off the fuel bowl & get yourself a can of carb cleaner & give all the passageways a good squirt. Don't use thinners as it tends to just move the blockage to settle somewhere else.
  5. Gave the pilot and secondary jets a good squirt, seemed to help a bit actually, but not totally remove the problem, I think a carb rebuild is in order.