Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Squid central

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by bugeater, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Well after being in Melbourne for 18 months I've finally come back to Perth for a short holiday.

While at the Red Bull Airrace I noticed that almost every motorcyclist (say 9 out of 10) were wearing either a t-shirt or shorts or both :shock: Of the rest that actually wore jackets and full length pants, most had sneakers on. Basically no-one really had much protection apart from the manditory helmet. Even the cops were wearing short-sleeved shirts. I was kind of shocked. Normally I would put this down to it being a hot day and all, but I rode 12 of my 13 years commuting everyday in Perth and never saw this level of .... squidliness. It also got a little chilly once the seabreeze came in. I'm beginning to see why the WA road toll seems to overrepresent motorcyclists at the moment compared to the rest of the country (something like 22% of road casualties here are motorcyclists compared with an average of 10% country wide - off the top of my head).

The other thing I noticed for the first time is just how quiet the roads seem here. Big wide lanes and barely any traffic. I'm really missing my bike right now. It would be great being able to cruise around without worrying too much about the traffic and speed cameras at every intersection.

Marty

2. Yep - everything's more relaxed over there.

I should visit sometime.

3. I must say it is nice to be home. There is something to be said about the warm days, blue sky, fluffy clouds and the cooling afternoon sea breeze. And the ocean.... :grin:

Unfortunately it also seems to be the a$$ end of the universe for my sort of work.

4. Sad isnt it :)

Ah well.... They will learn........

5. On my 15 min walk to physio today I saw 10-20 bikes riding along hoddle street. 2 had proper protection and the rest were in shorts + tshirts + helmet. All sport bikes as well (like it makes a difference but just highlighting it)

6. So it's heading into summer and the squids are out. But how about some more original threads, please? The motorcycle poetry one last night I thought was a great idea, but it's sunk without a trace :cry:

Talking about squids here isn't going to change them, only gravel rash will do that.....

7. I missed this part of the original post - so apologies for posting the above - but it was the third time in 24 hours someone had started a squid thread.

At the moment WA is a booming economy, highest average wages in Australia so obviously more disposable income. With this comes more toys for the boys, and I'd guess more motrobikes per head of population than anywhere else in Australia. Coupled with the a big wad of cash in your wallet you feel pretty confident about most things in life, including your own riding. Confidence on a bike is a great thing to have, but it's got to be controlled or we all know what could happen.

I'd like to hear from those who have been in WA for a while and their thoughts

8. I feel ya, Also moved from Perth about 18 months ago for work, although only just starting to ride so I'm spewing I missing out on the opportunity to ride on Perth's immaculate roads. :(

But i do notice people over in Melbourne do seem to be more conscious about wearing the right gear, I remember my pillion days cruising down West Coast Drv wearing jeans and a singlet, more worried about whether the wind was going to expose my female attributes, not any more though :grin:

9. Ok, I am originally from Sydney, and have been in Perth since 1991. I do agree that the weather probably brings out the squids a little more than in say Melbourne, but I don't think there is actually a higher proportion of them here, they just have more opportunity to practice their art due to the weather being so much better. I think the 'bikes per head' thing has relevance too, there probably are more riders over here, again because of the weather, and almost every rider I know has more than one bike, or intends to have more soon.

10. Bah! I don't think Poith has the monopoly on squids. Over He-ar (how Perthies seem to say here). there's just as many, I'd say at least 1 to 1 squid/non squid.
    Sydney was similar proportions.
    Newcastle though, was like 5 to 1 squid to non squid.

Regards, Andrew.

11. Hey Toecutter,
    That photo is a really funny post :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If you don't mind, I want to adopt it as part of my sig.

12. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hey I've just been told that that poster looks like me (except i've got blonde hair and not in brushback style!!!!!) in the mornings when I come to work :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

cracking up :LOL: :LOL:

13. Hey I just wrote this because it seemed rather unusual to me. I hadn't read everyone else's posts on the topic. Obviously I think it's a bit silly not wearing the correct gear. A couple of slides down the road and scars have reinforced the need for a bit of protection, though I must admit I have on occassion nipped down to the shops in shorts and a t-shirt. The main problem then seemed to be the t-shirt not wanting to stay down :grin:

I'm guessing the reason Melbourne seems to have less squids may just be because it is really warm in Perth at the moment. Then again it may be due to other reasons. Dunno.

14. ibast has it as his avatar, although a bit small

I don't own it so of course you can use it

Cheers

15. As part of your signature........ Nice knowing you. [-X thought that's grounds for instant dismissal?