Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Squeky brakes on CBR125?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Peaches, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Hi Guys,

This has been happening on and off to Peaches, and I thought to ask if anyone else's CBR125 is making such noises.

When I'm slowing down to a stop downhill, my rear brakes squeak/groan quite a bit, and sends vibrations up through the front of the bike :eek: It happens 40 - 50 % of the time when I'm slowing to a stop.

Jeff heard it the other day and said that it was just the way the rear brakes were engineered. Anyone have this issue with their bikes, or is Peaches suffering from something bad? :?

2. Hey Peaches,

Yeah Starlets CBR125 does the same thing. I doesnt mean anything's wrong, just give her a wash and see if that makes a difference.
  3. Thanks Stealthassassin.

When you say wash, do you mean give the rear brakes a wash or the entire bike a wash?

Sorry for the newbie question...

4. We gave the 125 a wash on the weekend and it seemed to reduce the brake noise a bit.. Im guessing the squeel was just from brake dust or something.

Show peaches some TLC and if that fails, i'm sure there is a product you can buy to reduce the noise.
  5. Brake squeal can be caused by a number of things; the fact asbestos has been removed from brake pads, impurities in the metal of the rotor, trapped debris/dust, or even simply from not using the brakes enough (they can develop a "glaze" on the surface if only used lightly).
    There are products on the market though designed to eliminate squeal - basically they're just a rubbery goo that goes between the brake pad and brake piston to absorb any vibration. Most auto stores stock them and they do work well.
  6. Do they squel also because the brake pad is worn out?
  7. Nah, she's forgotten to feed the mouse that lives in the gearbox.
  8. On some cars the pads are deliberately designed to squeal when they get worn to a certain point.
    Never seen this on bike pads though, but then I haven't seen a lot of bike pads.
  9. Gerheh, Heeey ma... Cletus is using the interwebs again.
  10. Hang on a sec, are you saying that some brakes are meant to squel as such??? :shock:

Wow... I never knew that.

Also, Peaches is a baby (less than 400 ks on her), so her brake pads are definitely not worn :p
  11. On some cars yes - there's a small piece of metal designed to touch the rotor and squeal once the pads wear below the safe level (though whether that's enough for some drivers to recognise their car needs work is another matter).
    Best system I've seen is that on some European marques where a wire is embedded into the pad material. When the pad wears down to far the wire breaks and a warning light appears on the dashboard.

Given the age of your bike, and how you've been riding it, I suspect the squeal is just due to glazing of the pads from not being used aggresively. Only options are to live with the noise, use some anit-squeal, or fit new pads and bed them in properly (which isn't really an option if you're still learning to ride).
  12. Or stop using the rear brake and use the front!
  13. Thanks all - and Nightgash, I know I know... :oops: But I've been using the front brakes a heck of a lot more than I used to, and only use the rear with the front when I'm stopping :grin:
  14. Wouldn't just using the brakes a lot wear the glazing away?
  15. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I heard that the exact way you intended - classic!

Peaches, mine was doing that for a couple of weeks and as Stealth mentioned she's fine now :grin:
  16. No. If they've become glazed over due to light brake application applied for long periods of time (ie overheating from riding the rear brake) or from not being bedded in properly then it could take a very long time for the brakes to wear down to "untainted" friction material and give full performance. Much safer to just replace them IMO since brake pads are relatively cheap (of course is also possible to grind off the affected material).
  17. Sand paper(Wet and dry) on glass(Flat) works well.
  18. It's called Anti Seize

The solution is sold in a tube at Repco stores. It's called Anti Seize and comes in copper and silver versions. I think the copper is the higher temp version, so that is the one to be used on disc pads.

AS is normally used on threads where high temperature is involved, such as exhaust studs and spark plug threads. I wish I knew who first found that it also worked for solving squealing discs!

In theory the squeal comes from the pad vibrating rapidly (at the same pitch as the squeal or a sub-multiple, who cares!) against the piston in the slave cylinder, as it is being pushed against the disc.

You might not have found out yet, but the squeal is usually only associated with a particular pressure - press harder or softer and the squeal will often disappear.

The trouble is that once your pads develop this tendency, it seems to happen at the most frequent braking pressure you use, whether light or hard. Sometimes, as in the case of my Brembo genuine pads on my MG (OK, the italian one, the Moto Guzzi) the just squealed and squealed.

In practise, you remove the pad from the caliper and smear a very light coating of AS just on the surface which contacts the piston of the slave cylinder. This is frequently a circular ring slightly raised from the rest of the surface of the piston. You do this to both/all/any pads in each caliper that is affected.

You don't need a lot to stop the rot. If you would like to do it yourself I could supply pics. It's not all that hard, just a bit messy.

Trevor G

PS You mustn't use grease (I know you weren't intending to!) because even HTB will melt and run down your pads and onto the disc.
  19. Thanks all, and Trevor - most helpful!

I guess my next question is, can I live with it? As in, it's not hazardous is it?

Trevor, I'll copy and paste what you said in an email to Jeff, and maybe he can show me how to do it (I really have no idea about what parts of the bikes are which. Still trying to learn)