Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Squeaky Rear Wheel

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Mickymillions, Jun 29, 2012.

1. So I am going insane. I am a new rider and had my bike for about 3 months now and absolutely loving it. I use it to commute everyday and so this week it has been subject to the wet weather in Brisbane. Problem lies in now that there is a nasty squeak coming from what I believe to be the rear wheel.

I ride a 2002 Kawasaki ER5. I only notice it as I hit about 50km/h and intensifies as I go faster. I regularly lube the chain and have done since I have had the bike so I don’t believe it is coming from there as I have done this since riding in the rain. It is kinda hard to tell with my helmet on but it sounds as if it is coming from the right side of the rear wheel. With my limited knowledge of bikes I am not sure what it is or what I should try to fix it.

Please help, All advice welcome.

2. Either:

Brake pads / disc

but since you regularly oil the chain, doubt this would be an issue unless overly tight.

Right side, I'd say either replace your brake pads or if like me, just clean the pads with a wire brush and acetone (nail polish remover) and give the disc a clean with the acetone on a rag. possibly a bit of road grime on the pads.

Wheel bearings: put bike on centre stand and check for sideways play in the wheel.
  3. yep, brake pads (best case) or wheel bearings (worst case)
  4. I'm thinking brake pads/rotor too
  5. Cheers guys.

Will try and clean the brake pads and see if that fixes it and hopefully it’s not the bearings.