Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Squeaky rear suspension

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by jisk, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

I've had a Hornet 250 for a couple of days, and it has started to make a squeaking noise in the rear when travelling very slowly (e.g. carparks, when I first hop on the bike). I can also make it do it if I get on the bike while stationary and bounce up and down gently.

Yesterday my mate and I adjusted the rear preload from 2nd-to-loosest to 4th-to-loosest (about midway). I imagine that might have something to do with it.

Any ideas how to stop this squeaking? I'm not 100% sure if it's the rear suspension or something else under there.... I don't have anyone around at the mo to help me check it out.

Thanks.

2. It will be the rear disc dragging on the pads. Some bikes and many cars do it. Use the rear a bit and it will stop.

3. So the idea is to wear the pad down a bit so that it no longer drags?

4. Pretty much, although it's not usually a case of wearing the whole pad down, just getting rid of a slight irregularity or a bit of grit or something that might be stuck in there. You don't need to hammer the rear at every given opportunity and it shouldn't take so much that you will have significantly reduced life from the pads.

5. Brake pads don't have any mechanical or hydraulic means for holding the pad off the disc causing a friction squeak or squeal until things normalise. Working the rear often helps.