Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Squeaky rear brakes?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by blue_muppet, Aug 6, 2005.

1. I recently got my hands on a pretty nice gsf250 Bandit and I unfortunately had to get the discs and pads replaced because they were off compliance by 0.04mm (total bummer)

Anyway, after parting with quite a fair sum of money to get the brakes fitted ect, I’ve been riding the bike for just over a week now and in the last couple of days the rear brake has started to squeal. This only happens when I’m applying the brakes fairly lightly. Under hard braking there isn’t any noise.

Could this be the brakes wearing themselves in or should I go and get them to readjust them? I was pretty annoyed that I had to get new discs on the bike considering it had only just 24,000km. I thought they lasted forever!! :D

2. Sounds like the pads bedding in to the new disc. Give it a quick run and a few harder stops with the rear brake, and this should accelerate (!) the process!
  3. Yep, agreed, it's probably the pads bedding themselves in. They maybe harder than the ones that were in before and are taking longer to settle down.

Sometimes brake pads get dust on them and start squeaking too, but you didn't mention any dirt-road riding so I'd plump for the first suggestion.
  4. thanks for the prompt replys. I havn't taken it off road (its too pretty for that!) so I don't think that would be the problem. I'll give the bike a wash tomorrow and see how it goes. I'll also go out and do a bit of hard braking practise and see if that seems to stop it.