Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Squeaky front brake

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by GoTeam, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Earlier this week, I heard a squeaking noise as I was slowing down to stop. It happened at every lights. I thought it was the chain and was surprised that it would have started squeaking after only having done 300km with no wet weather riding.

I oiled the chain. The next day, I went out and heard the odd squeak so oiled the chain a little more.

Today, I pinpointed the squeak as coming from the front brake. When my car does that, I just brake then its OK. My bike won't seem to get better. Its braking fine but the squeaking is annoying me.

Just for the record, my bike has done 470km from new so its highly unlikely that the brake pads are worn out considering I've never braked hard with the front.

I'll have a look at the disc and pads in the daylight.

Is this something that you'd expect to go away? Have you had this happen? Am I asking a question for nothing? :p

2. I believe, and im sure ill be corrected if wrong....that a squeaky brake is just dust rubbing between the pad and disc...and can be blown out with compressed air..

3. At the next service get them to oil the brake pads for you :wink: I believe this is a dealer only product (brake pad lubricant)

4. Mobil 1..... or why don't I just take the rotor off then I won't have to hear it? I could also push the bike around. Yeah, that's what I'll do.

5. Dust does that but I don't get why it has affected it that much. It usually goes away with a bit of braking in the car but didn't seem to on the bike. I'll put it down to an annoyance and leave it.

6. Better practice some emergency braking in your local empty carpark then.

EDIT: just seen SMS. next time.

7. :p Go Team, give it a few more kays to work itself out or settle in. It may be a tiny pebble between pad and rotor or dust . The main thing is if the brake still works well and its not causing too much irritation mention it at the next service and see what they say.