Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Squeaking Brakes

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by takagawa, Mar 29, 2005.

1. 3000kms ago, I had my front brake pad replaced. Once I had them replaced, I noticed how they just squeak when I'm just about to stop. At first I thought I had to just wear them in. But now, after some various 'incidences' that required me to use front brakes, they should by now be very much worn in.

However, they still squeak like crazy just the moment when I come to a stop. I'm thinking I'll get them checked out with Mick (Performance Motorcycles) when I hit the 5000kms mark, but before then, does anyone know if there's anything I can do? It's gotten to the point where I use front brakes to slow down to a safe speed before switching over to the rear brakes. This way I don't scare the living crap out of other drivers around me when I come to a stop.
  2. You can get cans of spray on "squeak relief" type stuff to put on your disks. The squeak usually comes from either brake dust or worn pads. Since it's not the latter, then possibly the dust?
  3. 3000kays later, shouldn't the dust be disintergrated by then? I'll go check up on that squeak relief stuff tomorrow.
  4. Oh damn, do these de-squeakers require me to take the brake pad apart to apply them? I'm not quite confident fiddling with something critical like my brakes.
  5. I had the same issue with my Ninja 250.
    I took my pads out and scruffed them up on some smoth concrete and that fixed them.... for about 30min worth of riding. It ended up being that my front wheel bearings need replacing, and now it feels like a new bike!
    (Wheel bearings plus fittment cost me $20 at Floyd Parkes Kawasaki in Ferntree Gully)