Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Squeak emanating from front wheel after drop

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by jack_1313, Jul 21, 2010.

1. I dropped my bike for the first time making a very low speed u-turn outside the front of my house. It probably would not have been as bad if it were not for the fact that the front wheel slid forward into the slit of a drain. The fall smashed the right indicator cover, which I've replaced, bent the rear brake pedal up, which I've bent back (not perfect but entirely functional), and knocked the whole plastic console at the front out of alignment a little bit, which I've also bent back just by pulling it.

Anyhow, I've since noticed a squeak emanating somewhere from front wheel. The front brake has always squeaked a lot when applied (I've been riding the bike for a about a month), but I'd never noticed it squeak when the brake is not in use before.

I pulled over today and rolled the bike back and forth while the engine was off. Sure enough, there is a definite metallic squeak that sounds at a certain point in the wheel's rotation. It sounds the same as the brake squeak, although not as loud. I haven't had any problems braking.

Is it possible that the brake disc or pads has been knocked out of alignment? If so, is this something I could adjust myself, or do you think it's necessary to take it to a mechanic?

Any help would be appreciated,
    Thanks!

Edit: It's a Honda CB 250 RS (Road bike).

Jackson Allan

2. Sounds like a warped disc, which would require either replacing or machining, if there's enough meat on it. Do the brakes pulsate on light application?

It could also just be that the forks are slightly twisted, in which case it should be easy enough to straighten out (You should probably check anyway):

Put the bike on the centrestand (assuming you have one) & check the angle between the front wheel & triple clamps.

If they are off, you can loosen the bolts on the triple tree (fork clamps) & realign it.

Make sure the front end is off the ground & supported while you do it, & make sure you do the bolts up tight again!

Let us know how you go!

3. drill a hole in your exhaust - you wont hear a squeek after that :)