Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sprocket wear

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Milpool, Apr 16, 2016.

1. I cleaned and oiled my chain today and while I was at it had a close look at the rear sprocket to see how worn it was because I was told it's good to check on it every now and then. Thing is I have no idea what to look for. I have got a picture here:

Dropbox - IMG_20160416_163430384_HDR.jpg

It was taken after cleaning the chain but before lubricating it. Is my sprocket okay? Also what should I be looking for?

2. That's fine got plenty of life left in it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Oh awesome. Thanks so much for your help.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. That's as new ...

So you know what to look for in future, this is rooted...actually this one is completely destroyed!

Here's a guide...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ah okay. Thanks for the info.
  6. I'll make mention that the front sprocket wears roughly 3x as fast as the rear on most bikes. Definitely check out the front if you haven't already.

As above the rear has barely been worn in.
  7. I assume you know about chain tension as most if not all owner manuals for a chain driven bike will tell you what to look for and how to adjust it. If you don't know read the manual as it is important.

But also check chain wear. Grab the chain at the back of the sprocket Half way between the top and bottom ( at the three o'├žlock position) and pull backwards. A new chain virtually won't move, A slightly worn chain will pull slightly off the teeth. If you can expose more than half the sprocket tooth the chain needs replacing.
    • Informative Informative x 1