Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sprocket fun...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by zxparker, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Hey there all...

I have a 2007 600RR and I am looking at doing some work on the gearing. Have some mixed advise. Some people say upgrade the rear sprocket and others say the front. It is a 16/41 configuration at the moment. I was looking at either going to 15 on the front, or 44 on the rear.

Can people shed some light on the pros and cons of each?

What happens if I do both? Say 15/42 or 15/43?

Thanks in advance.
  2. better off going up teeth on the back rather than down on the front (tighter bending radius is no good for the chain)

and don't forget up 2 on the rear is near enough the same as going down 1 on the front
  3. I prefer going down on the front, then you can keep the standard length chain, handy for ordering down the track. If you add few teeth to the rear, you might need a different length chain.

The decreased wear argument doesn't hold with me. I always get at least 20,000 km's out of the chain, hardly done them harm, that's using a 14t front.

A 15t front will give a noticeable acceleration difference on the 600rr, but 15/42 would be perfect for me (standard length chain will fit this), it depends what you personally want from the bike and what sort of riding you do.
  4. I just want a little more roll on torque thats all... Dont get me wrong, I love the bike, but I just want it to be a little punchier though the mid rev range... I think this should do the trick for me.

Seems from the reading that I have been doing that the opinions on the issue are very divided.

Can anyone tell me how many extra links I would need to go up in the chain if I was going to get a 44t for the rear? Would it then be a non standard length (as in not a length that was manufactured through RK at all for any bike)?
  5. You can get all sized chains.

Save yourself the grief and just get a 15t front...