Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sprocket change for 1994 Virago 250

Discussion in 'Cruisers' at netrider.net.au started by charlou, Jun 17, 2014.

1. #1 charlou, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    I love my bike .. it rides beautifully, but there's just this one thing ...

A common issue for the Virago, apparently .. So far I've been commuting with a max speed of 60 kph most of the time, and occasionally 70 kph, which is where I've really noticed that my bike needs .. something more .. At some point in the future I'd like to ride at higher speeds (where appropriate, of course :) ) and would like to know more about improving the top end gearing.

I've read in reviews of the Virago 250 that changing from 16 teeth to 17 on the front sprocket is recommended to improve the top end gearing and eliminate that need to reach for the non existent sixth gear. Has anyone here done this, and is it necessary/better to change the rear sprocket and chain as well? How does it affect first gear? Will it affect the LAMS rating of my bike?

2. OK, firstly it won't make any difference to the LAMS rating.

As to the sprocket, you have to ask yourself how much time you spend on the HWY vs the city.

If you go the bigger front sprocket, you may need to slip the clutch to get off the line. This is much harder on the bike and can get frustrating to ride.

If, however, you spend most of your time on the FWY, then you probably won't notice it much.

On bigger bikes one tooth will make little difference, but on a 250 a small change is noticeable.

The other thing you may want to do is some tuning. Pipes and a carbie re-jet, will help you pull that bigger gear.

Having said all that, front sprockets are cheap and can be done at home. So just give it a go and see what it feels like.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hi Charlou,

This is an old thread but here's my two cents if anyone else needs help with this. I also have a Virago 250, and changed from the stock 16/45 to 17/40 sprockets for under $100, Rides like a completely different bike. I can now easily sit on 110kmh. The first couple of gears were useless before I upgraded them. The bike is factory set up for city riding for Japan I guess. So putting gearing that's more suited to our open roads is probably the number one thing XV250 owners upgrade. Check the viragotechforum website for a breakdown on how to do and what gears will suit your height/weight and style of riding.

You will have to remove a couple of the links from the old chain, I just bought a new one with the right amount of links.

The gears are more spread out so you wont be in 3rd gear before you cross the intersection anymore if you upgrade.

Wont effect your LAMS rating.