Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sprocket / Chain Size (Suzuki Across)

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Alexy23, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Hey I have a Suzuki Across 99 GSX250F, just trying to figure out which parts to buy. Are all the sprockets pretty much standard?

The manual states a 49/13 ratio, can I just find any old 49T sprocket and fit it on? I.e (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JT-Sproc...ccessories&hash=item3377a5cd1f#ht_1383wt_1097)

Similarly the chain states DID520V or RK520 with 110 links. (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RK-M-520...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item519fca4cc2) will this do the job?

Also - if I buy the 110 link chain, will I still need a cutting tool?

2. no you can't just buy any old sprocket.. even if it fits other models of the same brand, most bikes have different mounting points for their sprockets, so generally you will need one specifically made for your bike, sometimes even the year of manufacture matters.

as for the chain, check your user manual or workshop manual for length and width of your chain, if possible i would say go with a DID X link chain, I've had the best results from them.

Depending on the type of chain you buy, and the type of chain you have at the moment; will decide if you need a cutting / install tool, some just have a U clip on the joiner which only needs a screw driver to unclip and some pliers to reattach the new one.

Also.. if your changing the rear sprocket and the chain, buy a new front sprocket as well.

3. Sites like Chain Gang (google it ) usually have charts so you can work out what you need

4.  Top
  5. most times you buy a new chain they are to long and have to shorten it to what you need so yes you will need a chain breaker,when ever i change the rear sprocket i allways renew the bolts that connect the sprocket to the wheel and use lock tight on the new bolts ,,

• Informative Informative x 1