Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

springer on a bonneville

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by bonneville53, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Hi. i am sorta kinda maybe thinking about putting a springer kit on my bonneville america. is there any enginnering reason not to do this or in fact any reason not to do this? i saw one in "greasy culture issue 06" pg 45 and it looks pretty cool. i have seen the kits on the net for $750. thanks for any imput. Paul

2. Because even a good springer is probably less effective than a mediocre telescopic set-up?

Seriously, though, as long as you accept the likely limitations and like the looks, there's no reason not to do it. I've no idea how well they work with proper rear suspensions (ie swingarm) rather than rigids or softails and I, personally, don't think it would look right on a swingarm bike, but I don't see how it would be likely to be actively dangerous and aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder.
  3. yes i am hearing you. i think somethings are better in the minds eye than the reality. especially as my ride does a good job as it is and if its not broken then why try to fix it.
    maybe when i have a 3 bay garage and an old panhead it may come to fruition lol. there's (ssh) a tafe somewhere where the guys fail the welding course every year so they can come back next year and work on their hot rods and motorbikes. all the equipment and knowledge, now that would be the place to do a project. thanks for you thoughts. it does look good in the mag but then again if i am riding i cant see how good it looks unless i am admiring it as i have a beer at the wollombi pub lol. ps i know bmws are germanly efficient and correct but they dont sound like a hd now do they?
  4. If you get a chance, ride a Harley softail springer and a standard one.
    Given the choice I'd buy a springer.
    How good the aftermarket kits are, I have no idea..