Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Spray Painting - How To Needed

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Ian Wiltshire, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Who knows how to spray paint. We must have some gurus on here.
    I know about preparation and have achieved some really good results with rattle cans but I've got hold of a paint gun now and I want to give it a go.
    So, I need to know things like:
    What pressure (psi) do I regulate at?
    Do I need a filter?
    What do the adjusters do on the gun?
    What paint is easiest to use?
    Do I need to mix thinners with it before it goes in the pot ?
    If so what quantities/ratio?
    I presume I need to clean the gun after, How?

Any other useful tips?

2. who stole my avaitar!!
  3. Hi Ian, Some of those links above are very good.. although give some conflicting advice (eg. Laquer is the best! 2K is the only thing you should be painting a bike with!)

I've painted a couple of bikes, but am by no means an expert.. I'll just try to answer your questions directly.

Most guns run at 40-60psi. The type of paint that you will buy will affect this and they will usually recommend a pressure. It will also depend on they type of gun you are using (suction, gravity fed, hvlp, etc). Suction will need more than gravity and hvlp will need less than both (from memory, I have a hvlp gun but have never used it)

You don't *neeeed* a filter, but on the other hand, you don't want water in your paint.. so It's best to have one.

The adjusters on my guns either change the spray pattern or changes the trigger point at which the paint stops flowing but the air continues to flow. You want an elipse pattern when spaying and it's best to aim the gun at a bit of paper/wall/etc. to get the spray parrtern right before you start.

I can never remember the differences between paint types.. but I'm pretty sure Acrylic Laquer is the easiest. I've only ever used 2 pak (or 2K). btw, if you do go 2K, then you shouldn't really be using it unless you have a seperate air supply and a suit and/or fresh air mask. It contains cancer causing agents. Having said that, I have sprayed it wearing a somple organic twin filter mask.. but it's not advised.

Yes you need to mix thinners. You should buy thinners and the catalyst using the same brand as the colour. It's also handy to have a few litres of cheap thinners for cleaning the gun and/or parts. I do this by washing the cup in thinners, then running clean thinner through the gun until no colour is left. You can also soak bits overnight as well if you want.

You can find out the ratio by asking the guy you buy the paint from ;) well, thats what I did anyway. I think each type of paint and each manufacturer is different..
  4. acrylic IS shit and 2K IS the only thing you should be using to paint bike parts
  5. I'm going to give this a go next year (haha) but I'm painting race glass so it doesn't need to be 100% perfect.
    If acrylic will give glossy results then I'd prefer that to having to get geared up and spend lots of money getting set up with BA equipment.
    Did I mention, I don't have an oven so it ill have to air dry. If this makes a difference.
  6. I don't disagree but I have a 1966 HD Holden with acrylic paint that is in better nick that than the 2K paint on my other cars. Depends on the condition the vehicle the paint is applied to is kept in I suppose.