Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Spray painting advice?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by removed-6, Jul 18, 2007.

1. This is for the paint experts out there. Painting my track bike, wanna do it myself, which shouldn't be a problem, just the details I don't know.

1- What sort of paint is best?
    2- I'm gonna buy a new spray gun, what size nozzle? i.e 1.4, 2.0 etc.

Is there anything special about painting bike stuff I need to know before I attempt it myself?

2. C'mon, someones gotta know something?
  3. lol i wrote this page just for u only been up a week

Ok for a race bike with no paint job artwork u want a single stage paint (gloss n pigment in one) If u are very health concuoise use an acrylic but it will require los of sanding and buffing after the spraying to get it looking good.

If u dont mind burning ur lungs a little bit get a single stage urethane (2 pack) a decent mask $80 worth and about $100 worth of paint thinners hardener and u will have a good result with lots of dust in it (until u wetsand and polish it)

i like the 2 pack it takes less effort for a better finish and is more durable.
    some feedback on the guide would also be appreciated.
  4. Thanks Z.

With 2 pak, what size nozzle on the spray gun? 1.4?

feedback- assumes some knowledge of painting already I think. If you want to make it truly DIY then you probably need to dumb it down a bit more and explain a few things a little more.
  5. in essence size of nozzle doesnt matter. i spray everything with 1.4. It just means thers less paint comming out at the one time. For a bike 1.4 is better as there are lots of nocks and crannies that if u attempeted them with a 2 u would get runs.

when buying a gun just make sure its gravity fed, the sucktion fed ones waste alot of expensive paint. Bunnings has a nice HVLP gravity fed gun for $50 which i think is a bargin as its very simmilar to the little one i have.

Unless u are spraying alot of primer/filler u dont need a putty gun

and on plastics make sure u use a plastic primer
  6. your best bet would be 2K paint.....If you want a solid colour use 2K solid....for metallic use clear over base system......we find 1.4 nozzle is the best size for nice atomization of the material