Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Spots Of Rust

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Noggin, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Cleaning the bike today, How would I get rid of these spots or rust and how do I prevent it from happening?
    And picture 3 i often see bike's that have the paint pealing off and rust on the black item pictured (radiator?), the paint on mine is starting to bubble slightly so how would i prevent that?
    Thank you,
    r1. r2. r3.

2. The rust on the forks isnt a huge deal though may result in some pitting. Its unlikely your forks compress that far - hence the rust.
    Id suggest using some polish on them, gently. The residue from the polish should also give it some reasonable protection for a while, or you could use a light oil and a rag when they are cleaned up, and wipe a very thin sheen over it.

The mount for the radiator (assuming thats what it is, its a bit hard to see on this small screen(, not much you can do to stop it. Just clean it up with a bit of wet and dry sandpaper and repaint it. Itll likely outlast your interest in that particular bike anyway :p.

Others may have better suggestions :p.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The rust is more than likely due to the fact it's been made cheap in Brazil, and the surface of the metal wasn't properly cleaned/prepped prior to chroming or painting. Thai built Kawasakis (and Hondas) have the same problem.

Removing mild rust like that is best done using phosphoric acid, usually sold as "rust converter" in auto shops. Look for any brand that comes in a black plastic bottle with a corrosive warning on the label, as there are some rust converters based on other chemicals (which are crap). The acid will convert the rust, and only the rust, into something which will dissolve in water - so let the acid sit a minute or two (it should be reasonably viscous), then flush with water and then dry (either with a cloth or ideally by flushing with metho and allowing it to evaporate). To keep the rust from coming back either spray regularly with WD40, or cover it with grease and fit some rubber gaiters (like bikes used to have before hard chroming).

With the radiator best option is to sand back the paint and rust to see how big an area is affected. Then remove the remaining rust with phosphoric acid, flush and dry, then repaint with something that is more heat resistant than whatever it is that Honda used (a decent quality spray can of engine enamel should do)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Forgot about using acid, onya jd.
    If you go this way op, watch the fumes and don't accidentally get hcl lol.
  5. Yeah it's just above the compression line. Haha I already have plans on upgrading to a DRZ in 10 months (yes I am counting down the months :p ).
    Thank you for your very helpful post. (y)

Thank you jd for your awesome post, very much appreciated. (y)