Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sportsbike pillion seats

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jitboy, May 22, 2007.

1. Hi all,

Now after having a couple of bikes for about 5yrs in total, both Suzuki's (RGV, GSXR), this feels like a bit of a silly question. But here goes...

What is the strap on the pillion seat for exactly? Is it a crappy substitute for a metal grab rail? It doesn't look very strong?

I'm looking to start taking a pillion passenger, and in the past they've struggled with the high seat position, and lack of grab handle. I'm also not a big bloke, so I sit toward the front of the bike and the gap between the pillion and myself is rather large if i'm in the sportsbike "racing" riding position. So a grab rail would be ideal but this ain't a pillion friendly bike. What's the best thing for them to hang onto? Rider's waist for the most part I take it. But under braking does pushing against the tank with your hands help? I've also read about those handles u can buy that clip around the riders waist.

2. i pretty sure that strap is supposed to be something to hold on to for the pillion

this might sound stupid but get a venture rack and theres a grab rail you can get for it
  3. I use the strap to hold my sunglasses while taking my helmet on/off. Might not be what its for but works a treat
  4. might be to hold drinks
  5. They're putting straps on mouse pads now!!! :shock:

Seriously, it is poor substitute for a grab rail.
    The passenger holding onto your waist when accelerating and a hand on the tank whilst decelerating are the norm, when no grab rail is available.
    I prefer my pillions do it this way, but it comes down to the confidence of the passenger in the rider.
  6. i use the strap to stop my balls hitting the bloke in front of me. hehehe nah i hold on to it so my other arm isn't loose. but just so while braking i'm not headbutting the rider.