Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sports, Crusier Or Trail for first bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Gods Country, Feb 12, 2008.

1. I'm getting mixed feedback from Fam & Friends.

Personally I want a sports bike, but I'm being advised to start on a trail bike or VTR250 or similar unfaired cruiser type.

Handling wise, how is the comparison between the 3 types?

My intended purpose will be daily commute (5km) and advanced rider training & track days

Appreciate any feedback

2. With such a short commute it really doesn't matter.

Cruiser won't be as easy for handling at any speed.

Road type naked (eg. vtr25) will be better at slow speed than sportsbikes, but sportsbikes will handle better at speed - but the difference is negligible for learners
  3. If u want a sports bike get a sports bike may as well get used to one as a learner if that's what u plan on getting once u get off your restrictions
  4. That last criteria says sportie, commute says naked. I bought a dunger naked for my first bike, then added a sportsbike when I got my Ps...I'd do the same again as I love the nudie for the commute and worryfree parking.
  5. I'd go nude ..
    unless you have something to hide :p :p
  6. Probably the naked, it's easier to handle and throw around town. But bikes are such a personal choice, it's difficult to give such advice.

(I'd shy away from a trail bike with off-road tyres though...)
  7. Misconseption 1 a VTR Is not a Cruser. it is a naked sports bike.
    It is not quite as aggressive as a "proper" sports but it is not a cruser by any stretch of the imagination. a Virago is a cruser.

One thing i personaly recomend is get a twin. Singles are a bit brutal and 250 singles have a little trouble holding highway speeds. I4s (CBR,FZR,ZXR) are a bit peaky to learn on they have a lot less grunt down low, so getting used to road conditions while keeping this in mind is just one extra stress you don't need.

So I say go a twin. There are Fully Faired and naked twins (Kwaka ZZR and GPX for fullly faired, Spada and VTR for Naked)

And trust me you can have fun on anything bigger than a CT110... well some people can even make a clown of em selves on those little things.
  8. I was originally looking at the CBR125R but then stumbled across the Ninja250R figured this would be more suited for the intended track days. Lucky I'm not in too much of a hurry :LOL:

I have ridden a few dirt bikes 125cc & 250cc and an old naked roady/postie type, but never a fully faired sports type bike.

I'd go nude ..
    unless you have something to hide Razz Razz </Quote>

What about getting tangled up in the spokes :rofl: :rofl:
  9. I'd say if you wanted a new bike, get the ninja250. IMO, the extra 125cc will help so much in a commute.

It's no dedicated sports bike by any means. It has upright seating, but is faired and looks pretty. But you have to realise, theres more then 3 types of bikes. VTR250's are standards, not cruisers. A cruiser will have footpegs out in front a fair way.

For your first bike, find something comfy, tastes can change, I never used to like nakeds, but I'm now in love with the speed triple.
  10. The New kwaka 250 has teh same donk as the ZZR & GPX (Give or take teh small change) So it is an inline twin, if it handles anything like the ZZR Motor it makes for a very good first bike.
  11. why would you possibly want a cruiser? They really only do one thing cruise. Why do you want a traily? Look i love commuting on mine for all the wrong reasons. A thumpers torque is handy in traffic, high bars make splitting easy. And if you dual sport it they are suprisingly capable in the twisties. And of coarse their versatility. But they are not the easiest thing to ride on the road.
    Sports, jareds comment is only relevant at speeds above 150. The vtr250 will easily handle anything up to that. Track days are all well and good, but unless you are planning on doing alot of them, its probably best to steer away from a full on sports.
    I can not highly recommend the vtr250 enough. They are an awesome bike that will do anything, and will never ever let you down.
  12. Yes trailies are great in the twisties. I have dual sport tyres mainly for off road (so pretty aggressive knobby type tread), and I can get incredible amounts of lean on them. The only down side is the cheap arse Cheng Shins are wearing out fast. You can get a traily and put some street oriented tyres (Dunlop Trailmax's come to mind) and still have some fun on the weekends in the dirt. I don't know why you say they're not the easiest to ride on the road. I suppose you mean they're not great at doing constant speeds. But if you can find a large capacity bike like the XR650s, or DR650s, or an XT660, they are more than capable of doing road riding. I do find it easier to ride that my dad's GPZ400R, and mines only a 26 year old Yamaha 250 trail bike. Even better, put some 17"s on a traily and ride supermoto style! That's what I plan to do with my XT550 project. And the big upside of trail bikes is it doesn't matter if you drop it, and when you do, you can pick it up without assistance. I think I'll be keeping a trail bike with me throughout my life, even if I do end up buying a street bike.

I don't know why everyone so far has left out the trail bike. The posts above me all talk about sports, naked and cruisers. It's as if no-one saw trail bikes in the list in GC's post
  13. I'd recommend a dualsport/motard every time unless there's excess highway km's. They're cheap (usually $0) to crash, easy to learn on, great at low speeds, great to split, good visibility above cars, light, fun, etc etc.

Nothing wrong with doing track days on them either. There's dedicated tracks for these types of bikes, and even mid-sized roadracing circuits are no problem. My little motard was cutting quicker laps than 80% of the supersports and litrebikes last weekend at a road racing circuit... and I can still ride motorcross and trail ride on it. Versatility.
  14. I'm going with the consensus here and saying a naked like a VTR250 for the first bike.

A number of reasons:
    - versatility
    - ease of handling
    - price
    - most similar to the kind of bike you'll be doint test on anyway,
    - perhaps most importantly it will give you the experience to decide which kind of bike you really want when the time comes.

I went through the same thing relatively recently, and after much debate and consideration, naked was my choice - definitely don't regret it, as now I know what I really want.
  15. fish post i just find the vtr 250 a much easier bike to ride. Note but that my xr is decked out with knobbies, is 10 years old. I do 100kms a day commuting. But i've been forced to choose between my vtr and my xr as the everyday bike. And the xr has won because of amount of time i spend in the sticks.
    Btw does anyone know who sells after market fuel cocks? I need a pair for an acerbis tank. Cheers.
  16. Ballards is the go for all things XR.
  17. ballards eh? Thanks devo
  18. Get what you want, not what others think you need. I'd rather be riding on something that I enjoy than thinking "I wish I had got ....."