Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sports bike owners. Is it painful to ride a sports bike?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by nethern, May 18, 2011.

1. I am thinking of buying a cbr600rr, but scared by the poor comfort as I read from articles. However, I saw a lot of people riding them day to day. I am curious.

Allow me to ask some questions:

1. Sports bike owners, how do you feel riding sports bikes?
    2. Where do you feel most painful when riding for sometime, say one hour in town.
    3. How dose it feel when riding on highways?

2. You change the bike to suit your self,
    Higher or lower bars,
    Different foot pegs,
    Ride your bike for a while till you find out whether it does cause you pain first.
    It seems to effect cruiser riders more,
    Do you feel comfortable sitting on the 600, if not try some other bikes, get one that your comfortable sitting on,

3. i have no pain riding my sportsbike. they are pretty comfy. well it depends how you define comfy.

coming from a motard they certainly are soft on the ass!

4. I only find it painfull when I fall off- it hurts mty lower back near where I keep my wallet

5. I rode an upright naked bike which I didn't feel comfortable with. Now I put clip on handlebars to change it to a sporty riding position and find it more comfortable than before.

Ask yourself these questions:
    - do you have a strong back
    - do you have back aches
    - have you complained about back aches whether mild or painful in the past
    If you answered yes to any of them you can still ride a sports bike but may need to alter the riding position to suit your needs.

6. I ride a friend's CBR600RR occasionally, but I couldn't do it all the time. That's because I'm old and creaky. Pain is in the wrists and neck.

But if you're young and healthy, just suck it up and ride a sportsbike while you can.

7. I start to feel a bit crampy after three or four hours, stopping for 15 minutes and walking around abit helps. I've never encountered issues commuting or cruising at highway speeds though.

8. I have a novel idea. How about going out and test riding one instead of asking other people to answer a question only you can answer yourself?

9. I do 600 to 800 Kays in a day on mine, And I am so comfy, I can still keep going,
    But I have changed it radically to suit myself,
    12 inch risers, and a lambswool seat cover helps immensely, plus I lowered the rear seat 3 inches,

10. Nah, but it's fucking painful riding anything else when you get to a decent set of corners.

11. You can modify the bike a bit but the limit is usually trying to get the bars to miss the fairing,a mates early model R1 was fine for me but the 675 Triumph was not so good and the standard clip ons on my Pantah were way to low so I got some swan necked ones,even then its a 400k and stop propersion to me,bike time helps your mussels get used to it.You dont notice on a great road,its the boring transport section where the pain happens and I try and miss as much of this as I can

12. Im the opposite - I could ride all day round town no worries on my r6/gixxer, but stick me on a highway where you sit fairly still for a few hours, and chances are im starting to look for somewhere to spend 15mins walking it off.

Your "ironarse" will improve with time as long as you keep it in practice lols - I used to be poleaxed after a couple of hours on a highway but now I could prolly go for 3 or 4 hours without much issues as it became more normal for me

13. When I had my RVF400 it was rather uncomfortable as it's a pretty small bike and any ride longer than 30 mins and my back started hurting. My gixxer 750 is unbelievably comfortable to ride as the ergonomics of the bike just fit me lovely. Just purchased a Ducati 848 and I find that very comfortable to ride also. The tank is much thinner which means I have to squeeze a bit harder with my thighs but after riding for a while, your core muscles strengthen and adapt. Rearsets, clip-ons and height adjusters can also help in getting the most "comfy" ride out of any bike.

14. I am not sure if the dealer will allow you to test ride a bike for more than one hour before you can find out how sore your body can be.

15. Funny question.
    Just think why do tourers look like they do and sports bikes like they do.
    It's not comfy. Is it painful.... Not really. All depends on you.
    There is no great reach to the bars so your arms are ok. Well unless you take all the weight of your body in your arms.
    It's one reason I don't like the double bubble screens. Or larger ones. The wind hits my chest and takes the weight off. A nice small screen and you are weightless at 80 instead of a 120.
    Your legs are tucked up. So yeah they need a stretch now and then.
    Cruising along at 60 to 80 you use your arms then stomach muscles then back and so forth. You stretch a leg every forty k's or so.
    On my Viffer I can go 150k's with out having to do any of this.
    So painful...NO. Jason recliner comfy.... ah no again.
    You just have so much fun you don't care and get use to it.

16. Took me a month or so to get used to my R1. Wrists were the biggest issues.

Now, not painful - but more tiring than my cruiser.

17. Being slim and having good core strength helps. Technically, your wrists shouldn't be sore, because your lower back and abdominals should be holding you up. I find that a secure grip with my thighs around the tank relieves lower back pressure.
    Saddle time sure helps, though. When I started out, half an hour on the bike would leave me stiff and sore the next day. Now I can go all day and the next, no soreness, no worries.

18. If they want the sale they will. I have had tests rides for longer than 1 hours and know of several others that have too

19. Excellent point!

SHUT DOWN THE INTERNET. ](*,)

20. You get used to it, I can do 400-500km is a day on a 600 but it starts to get painful towards the end and I find myself stopping more than if like.

I had a blackbird with 1" risers and I rode 1100km in a day on it in the rain.

Ask yourself what you want from a bike honestly.. If your just going to commute on it then a 600 is a horrible option. Ive owned sports bikes for years and I'd go out to the mountains and ride hard so it was worth the compromise. Now I'm unable to ride like that on the road (legal probs) so after taking the sports bikes out for a few months worth of sedate cruises I realized that they suck ass when riden at the speed limit and with both wheels on the ground.. I'm turning my cbr600rr into a track only bike and I'm going to look at getting another big capacity sports tourer or naked for road duties.

I think riding a sports bike is something you have to do and see for yourself. They are the pinnacle of performance, they look and sound incredible. You'll ride it and be the envy of your mates. You'll either learn to ride hard and anything else is a compromise. Or you'll look at your 2" chicken strips after a few years and realize that your not using the bike to it's potential and sacrificing comfort and give it away. I say just do it!