Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sports 600cc under $6k...

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by mr_sikma, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Hey,

Been riding my DRZ400E for a while now and do mostly road riding and a bit of dirt! I love the bike and will keep it if i get a road bike...

So pretty much just started looking at the main few 600s; R6, CBR600RR, GSXR-600, etc.

Going by looks alone I think the R6 is winning as I am probably looking at 2000ish models.

Any recomendations and why?

2. Only thing to watch out on early R6/R1's is they regularly munch gears. So make sure you give it a really good test ride. Especially 1st - 2nd gear.
  3. save your 6K + transfer + rego + insurance + more roadbike gear

and get some motard wheels, brakes and longer sprockets. you can get it all new with tyres for $2k. you can find 2nd hand kit for a little over 1k

those 400e's can get allot of poke when free'd up.

plus 600 sporties are for poofs, nut up your already good bike
  4. Not a bad option. Motards are the shizzle.

But, if you want to get into some longer distance/quicker road riding a proper road bike is the way to go. So really depends where and how you intend to ride.
  5. yeah just an option.

but know for under 6k you wont get much of a modern sportie.
  6. "post-2000" and "modern" are tricky terms - anything that's now up around 10 years old will likely have a few issues just with stuff wearing out (like valve seats, piston rings etc) and 600s will likely have a somewhat 'colourful' history.

That's not to say there aren't good units out there for that money, they're just few and far between and very hard to find. Do your research and familiarise yourself with the signs of major incidents... and try not to be seduced by all the pretty aftermarket stuff.

I had a 2000 GSXR750 which I loved, but when I sold it was up to 84,000km and getting pretty tired. For the sake of some info, the Gixxers of that era were pretty good mechainically, motors were strong and reliable. The most common failure was the stator and reg/rec going, with whichever failed first taking the other out as well, usually killing the battery if not picked up quickly. That can be expensive ($300+ for a stator rewind for starts)
  7. I've got a 2000 model R6. Sure they're getting a bit old but they sold a shit ton of them so there's enough around that you can weed out the shit ones and find something good. As mentioned above go for a really good test ride. Second hand parts aren't too bad either as plenty have been crashed.

You won't regret a second bike if you have the cash. The sports bike/dirt bike combo is awesome, I've got a WR400 for dirt duty along with my R6. Took all the ADR gear off it except for the headlight.
  8. I occasionally see a few CBR600s around from about 1998-2000 with maybe 40 000 km for around 4 grand or so. Others are around, but the CBR of that era was a great all round road bike and well put together. They started going a lot more sporty after that.

In any case, up to 6 grand should turn up a lot of prospects in good nick without a problem.

You're also into VFR750 territory for that cash. Heaps of good bikes, actually.