Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured Spokes and pumping up the tyres

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by nUt_rAt, May 7, 2015.

1. I have a Suzuki Intruder VL250 and haven't been able to find a petrol station where I can fit the air hose on to the rear valve!

Could you recommend a pump with a good low profile connector? Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

2. I had this issue recently due to the size of the brakes on my bike. My bike shop got this for me:

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. + 1 ^^^^ Ive got one on my EL makes it very easy

4. That looks like a great little gadget. Would have loved those when I was still using servo air lines. But I've given up on them because so many are defective, and those useless automatic air pumps are proliferating. Now I use a foot pump for small increments at home, and carry a tiny compressor on the bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I've got a potable Ryobi pump (part of the one+ range of tools I have) and a Slime digital tyre pressure gauge to ensure the Ryobi is lying to me...

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Thanks for the responses - appreciated.

Murph289Murph289 : never seen one of those, but will be getting one of those for sure.

DonJuanDonJuan : They have those pumps at Bunnings?

• Like Like x 1
  7. If your pressure only goes down a small amount between pump ups. even a good bicycle pump can top them up fairly easily.

DonJuanDonJuan How do you know the digital pump isn't lying as well.

Might be time to do another tyre gauge check day at Sat practice.

8. Forgot to mention, if you want something portable, I've found my Tomcat mini compressor to be great (so far -- only had it a couple of months). Packs into a case small enough to fit in my bike's tiny under-seat space. For regular small top-ups I find it quicker to use my footpump, but it's comforting on the road to know you always have tyre air available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GreyBMGreyBM Very true although I have checked it against a couple of other gauges... I'm hoping they are all good???

nUt_rAtnUt_rAt Yeah, got my Ryobi from Bunnings - the connector is a PITA but it does the job and saves me having to go to a servo.

CrisCris I got the Tomcat above as part of my puncture repair kit (Stop N Go Tyre Plugger) - good little unit!

10. Can't do links yet, but found what I was after on eBay, just do a search on valve extender. Thanks Murph289Murph289 for the tip. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. The rear on my Yamaha has a right angled valve so it's easy.
    The front only has a standard though so to pump the up at servos I just put the nozzle in between the spokes about 1/3 of the wheel away from the valve, and let it feed down to it, then it can just be pushed on and operated normally.
    Most of them aren't really an issue then.

12. Just a bit of info, we won't use these on our track bikes as the have a habit of randomly failing and letting all the air out. Especially at speed.
    Each to there own but I'd never use one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. I don't intend on leaving it on the valve stem all the time. It has been put in my toolkit to use when I come across an inflator that won't fit.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sorry Murph I just had a closer look at the picture I didn't realize it was an extra that you screw into the valve I thought it was one of the right angled valves to replace the straight one.

It's the right angled valves I was referring to that have the problem.

15. I agreed with johnnymac. Those valve extenders are OK for filling, I have had one break the valve stem resulting in a sudden deflation while underway. Keep it your jacket pocket, use for inflation only, then put it back in the pocket. They are handy. You might also consider that when filling, you are pushing your valve stem sideways.

It is possible to get 45 degree or 90degree valve stems for tubeless rims to make it easier to fill. My tyre fitter put short, 45 degree ones on at my request the last time I changed tyres. They can orientate them so they point the right way (how you want to provide the best access). He did have to order them in. Life is so much easier now.

16. 90 degree valve extender arrived today from an Aussie eBay seller: chookstuff in Qld. All good, now under the seat with my tools... after I took it for a spin and checked the tyre pressure. :)

• Like Like x 1