Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Spoked Wheels Speed Triple 2012

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Shori, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Hi guys,

I'm planning on a little project of converting my 2012 Speedy to look like a cafe racer style bike. Has anyone had any experience with fitting spoked wheels on their Speed Triples or any tips/ recommendations on what to keep in mind when doing this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. I'm sure you could probably get a set custom made set if you provide hub measurements etc. to a shop that does spoked/laced wheels.
    You have to consider the availability of tubed tyres in the size you need, unless you want to go to the trouble of sealing the spokes on the inside of the rim & asking the shop to install a suitable air-valve etc.

There are also specially made tubeless rims but you'll be paying around $4,000 for a set & as far as I know nobody in Australia supplies them, you'll have to source them from europe
    example: Kineo Wire Spoked Wheels for Triumph Speed Triple 1050S & 1050R (with Brembo Brakes) 2016> onwards

Definitely a bit of homework involved and with all things it's cost vs benefit, in all honesty it's probably more hassle than it's worth but you'll definitely have something different if you can pull it off :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks Yo-YO.

Kineo and Alpina are the only ones I could find online. Kineo are bloody expensive.
  4. if it was cheap to be different, everyone would be doing it :p
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Why the fascination with tubeless rims? A while back, I did the reverse conversion - Custom wire > cast alloy (inc tubes to no tubes). It's just a different sort of buggerising around by the side of the road if you have a flat. It takes longer if you have tubes. You get dirtier.

Advantages of the custom setup? Total unsprung weight is reduced (partly by losing one disk in my case ); this has an effect on handling, braking and acceleration - it takes more power to spin up a heavier wheel set or to brake them - a real consideration for bikes of lesser power. A lighter rotating mass reduces the gyroscope effect. It would be fair to say that the standard setup is not as "nimble" as the lighter wire wheel setup was, but I would be reluctant to use any word like "transformed" in relation to the handling.

Why did I change it back? - There was some really very poor engineering in the rear hub - done by a previous owner, or the one before that. It was a case of start again, or just convert it back by replacing the wheels. - I took the simplest option. If I found myself with a compatible hub and lots of time, I might have another crack at it. I did rather like the aesthetics of the single large disk up front and wire; any slight advantages in handling would only be a bonus and worthy of only a minor, if any, consideration from me.

Different is good.
  6. you could sell the speedy and get an MV Brutale Dragster? spokes from factory, looks good.. smaller triple, but good enough for commuting
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Brutale doesn't look like my Speedy....:cool:
  8. Thanks for the input jstava. I just need to save some $$$...
    • Like Like x 1