Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Spoked Rim Sizes

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by PatB, Jun 18, 2010.

1. What with work being a bit dull, I've got various ideas for modifications and upgrades to the DR floating around in my head.

An early priority is a change of wheel sizes so that I can have a better tyre choice than currently exists in the trailie sizes fitted as standard. As noted elsewhere, financial constraints mean that I can't go out and buy a set of motard wheels, and even a set of allys off something like a CBR250 are off the agenda right now. However, I can probably run to a set of spokes and a secondhand rim, giving me a couple of options.

Option 1: Lace a 2.50x18 rim onto the front hub, keep the stock rear and run a 130/80-17 Rear 110/80-18 Front combo, allowing something like Sport Demons or Mich Macadams (or current equivalent). Not optimal, but v.cheap. Tyre choice stilllimited but better than stock for road rubber.

Option 2: Lace the stock 2.50x17 rear rim onto the front hub and get a wider 17" rim for the rear, allowing a wide(ish) choice of light sport bike tyres. I parked next to a 'tarded Yam 250 this morning with 140/70 and 110/70 Bridgestones on it and it looked the goods.

Does anyone know of a standard bike that is (a) plentiful in wreckers and so likely to be cheap to buy a wheel for and (b) carries either 2.50x18 or ~3.50x17 ally rims with 36 spokes.

I gather a lot of dirt bikes have a 2.50x18 rear, but I can't think of many likely candidates for a cheap 17".

I'd be interested in a good Australian source for spokes too.