Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

spluttering bike riding very rough

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by kyan, Feb 20, 2009.

1. have a 2002 sv. rode home fine yesterday from work. this morning the bike was really hard to start. it is spluttering heaps and almost backfiring. it only idles when choke is on full. i only just made it to work this morning. when i accelerate it splutters and there is little power. every now and again power comes in (and nearly sends me into the back of the car iam following) and then drops back out again.

any ideas?

2. Sorry Kyan, Too many variables there to make any sort of diagnosis.

Fuel: Have you recently bought fuel from somewhere different. Perhaps dirty fuel or fuel with water in it.

Electrical: Symptoms like this can be caused by a break down of the ignition system.

The fact that you say it idles with full choke tends to mean it is running lean, i.e. lack of fuel. Full choke makes the fuel/air mixture rich and pulls through more fuel so I would look at fuel first I guess.

Good Luck
  3. problem fixed

thanks for your response. found the problem. the front sparkplug was swimming water so i think it was only running on 1 cylinder.

i dont know how it got wet cause the plug cap was attached.
  4. Good to here you are OK. If the bike is on the side stand was the spark plug in question on the high side?