Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Splitting PDF's?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ward_4e, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Hey people,

I'm sort of stuck I'm sending a copy of workshop manual to a fellow Trumpy rider and I need to split a pfd to beable to send it via email... I have a stupid work imposed 10mb limit on email transmissions and this pdf is 13.5 compressed.

Does anyone know of a wayt o split the pdf? can it be done?
  2. Compress the pdf (with rar or zip files) into volumes of less than 10 meg is the easiest way by far.

Say, do it in 6 or 7 meg parts so you split it semi evenly in 2 bits :)
  3. Or, if you or one of your colleagues has the full version of Acrobat, cut the file up and save it as two (or three if necessary) separate files.....

4. Have you ever tried to split files with professional? We split files with it and the remaining parts are almost the same size as the original I have found (with splitting a pdf in 3-5 bits). Might have changed in ver 7 tho? This was with either ver 5 or 6 professional
  5. If you know how to use FTP, you can upload it to my webspace if you like (you can even access FTP space through Windows Explorer (or My Computer as some folks think of it)). :) PM me if you want.
  6. Ok, in Pro 7 I just found Files -> Reduce File Size feature.

If you know the other persons pdf reader version, you can reduce the pdf file size to only be compatiable with that version (and later). I did version 7 only on an 11meg pdf and it was reduced to 5 meg.

Could be an idea if you have professional and don't want to do the easy option of compressing into volumes :)
  7. Cheers people... wow.. thanks for the options but I'm going to try an cheat a bit first. I explained to my better half the problem and she said why cant you print in two batches? :shock: :tantrum: why didnt I think of this.. so smart...

so I'm going to print the pdf through pdf995 from pages 1-45 and 46-96 that way hopefully the pdf splits properly if not... you guy's have given me some great info to get on with...

8. Printing to paper doesn't help with email ;) I assume you mean print to "Adobe PDF" printer?
  9. Hmm just tried doing this with a pdf. On a 100 page pdf, Ive sent pages 1-50 to be 'printed' through adobe distiller.

That took about 10 minutes to do the first half + save the file. If I saved the same pdf via winrar and saved in 2 halves, it took about 20-30 seconds to save the 2 files.

Hmm, 20-30 seconds vs 20-30 minutes. I know what I'd rather choose :)
  10. Download and installed PDFfactory trails (works perfectly but puts the URL into the footer.)

Print the PDF the PDF by selecting a page range PDFfactory so it is a PDF against

I think PDFFactory Pro might allow you to selectively delete specific pages before saving it as a PDF.

If the footer is getting in the way you can try http://www.pdf995.com/ a free PDF printer and just print the appropriate page range to it.