Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Spinups in the Wet

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by FALCON-LORD, Jun 9, 2009.

1. This morning on the way in to work I spun up the back twice after the tires would have been as warm as they were going to get.
    Now I know my current tires are rooted, but that is due to uneven ware, but there is still tread, even though it is very squared.
    So… is it that the tires are to far gone?
    Is it that they Are Dunny Qualifiers and that this makes them crap in the wet (Yes I know Loz you think they are just crap full stop)
    Or is it that I am just asking to much of them and have to back off on the Throttle (I don’t think I am being to adventurous in this regard but hey…
    Now My next step in treads is looking like it will be Some Pilot Road IIs from what I gather they are going to be a step up on the Qualifiers in the wet, is this a safe assumption?

2. I'd put it down to old rooted tyres. I ask more than I think safe from my PR2's, they just laugh at me and do their thing. Never underestimate the effect of shit tyres on a bike.
  3. don't know about other, but when i was commuting regularly in the upchange from 1 to 2 the sv would spin the rear and that was a rosso, but in saying that, i was certainly trying to make my commute to work more exciting.....it's wouldn't do it unless provoked :LOL: :wink:
  4. You have actually asked and answered your own questions correctly.
    Time to get new tYres as they sound like the old ones have definite wEAr

sorry couldn't help myself. :wink:
  5. Bloody school teachers…
  6. I think I am missing something
  7. They shouldn't spin unless you're wanting them too ;)

Haven't ridden i4 600s in the wet before, but my 900 wont spin unless I give it a sudden fistfull at ~4000rpm or more in a low gear.

My SV I gave as much power as possible in the wet always attempting to try to get it to spin but they never did with pilot powers.

All down to the tyres as others have said. My mazda 626 spins the wheels extremely easily in the wet, its sure as hell not due the power (as it has about half a hp) it just has hard nasty tyres on there.
  8. My VTR 250 will do it on the thick white intersection lines, every time.
  9. I reckon it's the temperature. Sounds like those hoops just don't get into their operating range in todays conditions. Sure, they may be getting worse with age, but if it really bothers you then go for something different (as you yourself suggest).

FWIW, I haven't used PR2s, but the Pilot Powers I had on my last bike never let go once in the wet. PR2s may well be designed to work across an even greater temperature range.

The Diablos I've got now were shyte this morning, and I put that down to temperature, too.
  10. I'm in Melbourne and the ride to work is about 35km's. My Ninja 250R has got 11,000km's on the clock and I haven't changed the tyres yet. Got sideways more than once this morning. I *knew* it was going to spin up, before I did it, I was just having a bit of fun with it today.

My tyres are a fairly worn (as in the tread is nearly level with the rest of the wheel in the middle), the stock 250R tyres are crap and skinny anyway. If I change early and smooth, it won't spin. Winding the gears out, especially at the start of the journey will have it spin up through 3 gears.
  11. Unless there is water flowing on the road you should have enough grip to wheel stand (or all but). If you snap the throttle open it will spin but hard roll on- float the front is what should happen. This assumes that you could get them up to temp in the first place. Oh and white lines are Satan’s little helpers in the wet.
  12. Don't mean to hijack...but;
    What's the best way to get wheels up to temp? Does it just come down to time spent travelling or is there things I can do in the morning to warm the wheels up quicker? I figure it's all about friction, so going with this theory, wheels take longer to warm up in the wet due to reduced friction... And aggressive breaking or cornering is what warms wheels up quicker?

Could be totally wrong, any advice would be great.

I often see people slaloming their bikes within their lane... is this a wank or does it warm tyres up?
  13. Its all voodoo. Fun fact, they found a certain professional rider who liked to powerslide out of every corner, actually had LOWER tyre temps than people who rode "normally". The surface temp was higher but the carcass didn't heat up as much, so his tyres were actually lasting longer.
  14. Jason, I don't think it's related to tread, or even the carcase, I just think the compound has gone so hard that it's not gripping....
  15. I would let you know, but I'm having a brake from ridicule.
  16. I'm with Hornet, I'd say your compound has hardened off. I'd also use the rear as a warning that the front's well on it's way to doing the same thing.
    It's nearly mid year stock-take time, but it's your call.

17. +1 for lane markings - especially the thick white lines you stop at at lights. Perfectly placed for the back wheel to let go as you're taking off. That's the only time my PRIIs will do it, and they're getting on a bit now.

Apparently the way to heat tyres up is hard accellerating and decellerating - it causes more friction throughout the tyre (therefore also more wear...) Leaning side-to-side does virtually nothing, and losing traction, as mentioned above, only heats up the outer layer.

Unfortunately that means the best way of getting tyre temp up (see para 2) in the wet is also the best way to lose your sh1t in the wet (see para 1). :LOL:
  18. Few things... There could have been something on the road that you just didnt see, odd for both occasions but hey stranger things have happened.

I'll also take a stab at tyre pressures. A few psi, especially in colder conditions, where you just won't get the heat in them that would normally be expected could make a fairly big differerence. The way the tyre is designed to push water out might not work properly.

Same deal, if they are stuffed, and you know they are stuffed, get new ones. You can have the best everything in the world, but your tyres are the only thing touching the ground. Get the best you can afford and look after them.
  19. Oh, and the other thing in the wet is the oil patches at traffic lights - nearly every interstection has them, and the rain brings them up to the surface, so stay in the wheel tracks not in the centre of the lane.
  20. _joel_ said:
    I agree. Too much ridicule is just plain tyring.