Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Spider shedding its skin

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by taiheung, Feb 29, 2008.

1. I know this is random, but I had no idea spiders shed their skin until the other day. I was in my back yard chilling out with a cool one when I spotted a spider 'squeezing' out of its skin. I saw the whole thing, but only got this image unfortunately. Once free it completely dropped and hung limp with all its limbs loose for 10mins or so until it 'regained consciousness'. It then kinda climbed back to life and cut its old exoskeleton off the web.

I also love watching the spiders wrap up their food, suck it dry, wrap it up some more, and then put it in that line of 'garbage' behind the web. If only humans could be so tidy sometimes.

Anyway - here to look at and discuss!

2. Amazing :shock:
    I wasnt aware they shed their skins either.
    Wouldnt it be great to turn 50 or so, and shed that old wrinkled cover :p
  3. Just like snakes - awesome!

Haha that would be fantastic!!

I'm pretty sure I saw a fly doing the deed with a dead spider on my balcony the other day!! :shock:
  4. Have bongs before you watch it again. Tell us what you see.
  5. Thanks for the info! I'll update the list.

Things snakes and spiders have in common:

- Sometimes poisonous [be careful].
    - Predatory and help keep areas free of pests.
    - Girls do not like them [hero opportunity... possible BJ from non-related females].
    - They shed their skin - new.
  6. Trust you to think of a bj.
  7. Interesting, I didn't know that. You learn something new everyday. Looks kind of cool I have to admit.
  8. Situational analysis and anticipation of consequences are important skills, and your sarcasm will not convince anyone otherwise.
  9. I am just pissed off that I can't do a skinchange.

10. Explanation HERE
  11. ...Ok, I'll say it for all the squeamish folk who aren't game to make the comment... that's an ideal time to spray them. :grin:

I didn't know about the shedding bit... I just thought I found the skeleton of dead spiders from time to time... anyway, looky here: http://www.amonline.net.au/spiders/toolkit/structure/skin.htm
    Edit: 2WA beat me too it!

:-k "Hero awards" ...I like the concept. :LOL:

Spider removal is a definite "man credits" earner!

12. Can I interest you in some Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis?

It's going cheap...
  13. I think you will find the spider would have been hanging in the sun until it's exoskeleton hardened because it would have been soft after shedding
  14. just like cicadas, snakes are fascinating creatures to watch shed - from the first "yawn" to the rubbing on rocks (to "scrape" the skin off), quite interesting to watch for the whole 30 minutes (takes longer, not worth watching). Aah, RIP "sage" (In snake heaven.... in the backyard...)