Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Speedway champ Gary Moon killed on track

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by goz, Sep 24, 2011.

1. [​IMG]

CHAMPION Australian bike racer Gary Moon has been killed during at a meet in north Queensland.
    Moon, 44, was competing in a speedway race at the Townsville Showgrounds when he crashed about 9pm Friday.

Police say he died a short time later from injuries he received in the crash.

Motorcycling Queensland general manager Lindsay Grainger said Moon, who lived in Townsville, was a 20-year veteran of the speedway who was an ''exceptionally gifted competitor''.

He won multiple national and Queensland championships and earned himself a speedway world championship in 2004.

Moon was a regular visitor to the Territory and once hailed Alice Springs' Arunga Park as one of the best speedways in the country.

Mr Grainger said the speedway racing community will be ''devastated'' by Moon's loss.

''He was a very strong member of that community,'' he told AAP.

''They're a very tight community and he was exceptionally well respected within that group.''

Police are preparing a report for the coroner.
  2. I read this late last night, very sad

speedway sidecar racers are a very special breed.....
  3. this really hurts actually Gary was such a great competitor and a massive favorite with the crowd, I loved watching him race in the NQ Masters every year and he always gave it his all. Truly a sad day for fans, and the speedway community.

Gary you are a legend and I morn your loss, all my wishes to you family, sidecar racing in the north will never be the same again.
  4. Injury and even death can occur all to often in our sport but it doesn't make it any easier when it happens.

Condolances to his family, friends and those at the track involved in the incident.