Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Speedo - subsituting another brand

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by mattb, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Hey all.

I helped my friend buy a bike today. She got an old 80's Suzuki GN250, in reasonable condition, for a grande. Everything on the bike is good, except the speedo and the brake master cylinder. I reckon we'll have to replace both, and I'll try to do it for her, but with little knowledge. Hence my question: can we replace them with any second hand part from a similar bike - say off an old CB250, SR, etc? I'm presuming this is the case, but best to check before spending money.

The problem with the master cylinder is a decomposed sight glass - can they be bought and replaced, rather than replacing the whole piece?

2. On the lower priced bikes, it is normal for them to be assembled from the parts bin, ie, the manufacturer uses bits and pieces from other bikes in their range to keep prices down. Kawasaki is reknown for it, most of the old Z's have interchangeble stuff like lights, gauges etc.
    I wouldn't be surprised if other Suzuki parts fitted, but other brands I doubt.
    The brake master I would just get a kit for and either rebuild it yourself, of if not confident throw at a mechanic, it should take all of an hour tops.
    If you get stuck for a speedo, short term fix would be get a bicycle computer from Kmart and double sided tape it on your speedo face! That will give you time to find a decent spedo. Actually, maybe just the speedo cable is broken?

Regards, Andrew.
  3. Have you managed to sort this yet?

You should be able to pick up a similar master cylinder from a wreckers. Suzuki would have used it on many different bikes. Unfortunately the diameter of the piston itself is what matters and you can't measure that without taking it apart. so just buying one is a bit of a gamble.

As to the speedo, there is a mob called MMT who rebuild speedos. Stratfield from memory.
  4. Thanks. I managed to find a matching set cheaply on Ebay (God I love Ebay!).