Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Speedo light fix

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by hornet, Jan 23, 2006.

1. As I mentioned in the other thread, sometime yesterday the light in the speedo binnacle decided to quit, and I didn't notice it till if got dark, (natch)

The speedo is still working, and the tacho light is still working so obviously they are separate entities.

Has anyone pulled a Hornet speedo apart and know if I can get a bulb (?) myself and fix it myself? I don't like riding around at night and not knowing my speed.
  2. Hmmm I thought you could reach the bulb from outside the speedo...

A small round plastic screw on the bottom from memory....
  3. like he said ^^^^^^ and the globes are pretty standard available from auto spares shops
  4. ta, guys! :grin:

I'll have a look at it when the weather cools down and it's not like a furnace in my colorbond garage!
  5. I was trying to find a picture on the net, the older CB's apparently had to have the speedo taken apart... I'm pretty sure that is not the case with yours...
  6. All fixed.
    I couldn't get the exact same wattage globe at my local garage (1.7 amp) but I got two 3 amp globes and replaced both speedo and tacho lights.
    Order has been restored, life has returned to normal :grin:
  7. good to hear hornet600 but will the increasing amp rating drain more power? and overload anything or is this too little a difference to worry about
  8. Well, I didn't have much choice, really. The total load increases from 3.4 amps to 6, so I'll have to hope it's within limits. I have a new battery and a new regulator, so.....
  9. Id be more concerned with the extra heat.

Couldn't retro-fit some white LED's?
  10. It's a real old-style instrument binnacle, not much different to many old cars I've owned, little rubber plugs that hold the globes and slide into the back of the dials, you know that sort of thing. I'm not sure how you'd do something different from stock, but I do know what you mean.....
  11. Read the topic and thought "At last. Now Albert can rest in peace as there is no need for his comological constant. "
  12. :LOL:

I can lend you my reading glasses if you like :grin:

13. an extra 1.3 amps isnt gonna do much the fuse rating is probably at least 5 amps , like someone else mentioned the little extra heat is the only real thing to take into account but the not really worth worrying about
  14. Does yours have the white instrument panel? Some blue LED's would be kinda awesome :)