Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Speedo broken on ZZR

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Bells, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Hey,
    Ive got a 1997 ZZR250 which has done about 499000kms so far.

I was going for a short trip today and towards the end the speedo just started to read 0km/h. It has been working fine the whole time Ive had the bike (about 6 months) and was fine even at the beginning of the trip.

Took the windscreen off and poked around but everything seems to be connected. I am not mechanically minded at all so any tips on how to examine it further or possible problems.

Also does any anyone know a good bike mechanic around the inner west area (i live in strathfield) curently I take it to one in Parramatta, team Moto.

2. Cable might have come loose or broken, if its that its just a $10-30 fix.
  3. pharque me, with 499000kms on your bike you would have had to rebuild the engine at least 3 times and you dont know how to replace a speedo cable? :shock: :LOL:
    yeah best off you leave it for the mechanic, knowing a kwaka, you'd probably have to remove the front forks and take the carburettor off to change the speedo cable :? :LOL:

in all seriousness, you need a phillips head screw driver and a pair of long nosed pliers to do the job. if you can change a light bulb, you can chage a speedo cable. all thats happened is that the turn wire has snapped in the cable, you just buy a whole new cable.
  4. Lol check your front wheel is still attached
  5. hahaha guess I should double check my posts before I stick em up...left a few too many 0's in that one :p
    Thanks for the tips - i'll have another look tomorrow and see what I can do
  6. My speedo cable came out down the bottom where it attaches. The inner cable fell out. I went to my local Yamaha dealer and they sold me a complete new cable, inner and outer for $28 for my FZR250R