Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Speedo backlight not working

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by kaiterbe, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Hey folks, I'm hoping someone can share with me their wisdom... My 2007 vtr has decided that it would rather me not know how fast I'm travelling at night. The backlight for the tacho is working fine, but the speedo light is busted. What do I need to do to fix it? :shy:

2. My VTR instrument globes broke a few months ago - tacho first, then speedo a few days later. The fiddly bit is in taking everything apart so you can get to the globes. Once you've done that, you just pull the old one out and pop in a new one. From memory there are some bolts holding the instrument cluster onto the handlebars, then you unscrew the speedo cable, then a bunch of screws holding the instrument cluster together (the silver back bit comes off). It wasn't difficult as such but did involve a bunch of four letter words.

IIRC there are three globes illuminating the instruments, two for the tach and one for the speedo. The globes themselves are a common style used in cars too, you should be able to find them at Repco/Supercheap/etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. For the 2004, you just unscrew the bezel off the front and replace the teeny tiny globe. I assume your 2007 is similar unless they significant'y changed the cluster.

Here's a pic from the 2003 service manual (didn't have a tacho but might be similar):
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks for that, my manual didn't have any helpful pics like that!

5. Thanks! I'd managed to get the silver bit off, but couldn't work out where the globes were hiding! We'll just call that a blonde moment :)

Now to try to get my headlight back in the right position!!