Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Speedo Acting up

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by King_Nothing, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

Thanks for help on last issues.

I have a recurring problem that keeps coming back every now and then, perhaps somebody can tell me how to fix it.

I am riding down the road and all is ok, until about ten or so minutes when the speedo tells me i am doing 187 or 201 or something like that. Now i know that is not the right speed because i am usually in a residential zone and still in first gear. This only happens from time to time and some times it tells me i am doing 0 when i am in fourth. Weird I know.

Once again the bike is a Tiumph Daytona 955i.

Does anybody know why this problem occurs and how it can be fixed?

Thanks in advance
    King_Nothing

2. Hmm. Check all your speedo cables first up. If the speedo reads from the countershaft sprocket, you might have to take it in to a mechanic, it sounds like something might be skewiff in there, maybe either the magnet or the pickup might be loose. If it reads from the front wheel (which I doubt) it might be easier to diagnose.

Sorry can't be much more help. Good luck.