Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Speeding is essential, say bikers

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by pro-pilot, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Well, nice to know that the media considers us all law breaking speed mongers!

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22214806-2,00.html

Speeding is essential, say bikersBy Mark Schliebs
    August 09, 2007 12:45pm

RIDING at double the speed limit, "bending" road rules and "pushing the limits" are just part of riding safely, according to many Australian motorcyclists.

An investigation into the behaviour of riders has revealed a belief among many motorcyclists that breaking the law was actually safer than abiding by road rules.

According to the study by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATS8), “some riders considered (bending the road rules was) an essential part of maintaining their safetyâ€.

“The concept of pushing one’s limits on the motorcycle was a common theme in the discussions and appeared to be considered a normal part of riding behaviour,†the ATSB report said.

Stunts not uncommon

The report said that while young men were more likely to admit to performing “stuntsâ€, there was no clear demographic for riding at high speeds.

“Both males and females, older and younger, appeared to enjoy riding fast,†it said.

“Most riders interviewed did not appear to regard riding at very high speeds - (for example) more than double the speed limit - as intrinsically unsafe.

“The general consensus seemed to be that safe high-speed riding involved planning the time and place so as to minimise risk.â€

Skilled riders "overconfident"

The ATSB said a better rider training program was needed to reduce “risky†riding behaviours, but it admitted that there could be some consequences to providing more skills to riders.

“It is possible that rider training may cause some riders to become overconfident in their abilities, resulting in a discrepancy between their perceived and actual limits.

“Therefore, rider training initiatives which improve a rider’s skill may benefit from the addition of a personal education component which provides riders with higher-order planning, cognitive, and self monitoring skills.â€

The Psychological and Social Factors Influencing Motorcycle Rider Intentions and Behaviour report also recommended that more be done to change the attitudes of motorcyclists.

2. I suggest people have a goood look at about page 41 of the ATSB study. There were 43 people in the so-called focus groups. The whole paper is statistically rubbish. The questions asked were not much better.

3. What a load of crap. I would much rather bin it on a track a few times and know exactly where my 100% is, then ride on the road at 80%.

Do-gooders probably still wouldnt be happy with my 80%, but phooey to them.

4. Well fcuk me, who would have guessed! Riders like to ride fast :shock: :wink:

5. Hey tramp where do I get a copy?

6. https://netrider.net.au/?page=news&action=fullnews&id=890

7. In the comments:
    WHO shouldn't be on the road?!?!?! :shock: :shock:

8. Way to go with the leading/suggestive language!

:woot:

9. Argh that makes me so angry, stupid people like that shouldnt be allowed on the road. The quote name says it all ! ;)

10. This is a QUT study badge/paid for by the ATSB isn't it? So isn't this the study that a NR thread was looking for "hoons" as participants? I didn't pay it much attention but I seem to remember a thread calling for hoons to participate in a study to work out what makes them tick. This is the result isn't it? I couldn't find the original thread.

If so I love how the 43 hoons have come to represent the entire riding community.

But here's the thing. Anyone who pays this any serious attention will realise it is a bollocks story. But most people wont pay it that much attention and not think that much of it. But then over the next few days when they see one rider doing something really irresponsible, they will remember the story, figure that they must have been onto something and that will solidify this impression with those who were originally ambivalent about the issue. So one wanker can do a whole lot more damage to our reputation after this story than they would do normally.

11. Speed limits represent only what a legislator believes is safe, not necessarily what is actually safe for a particular rider under certain conditions. Unfortunately, the "particular rider under certain conditions" formulation can't be legislated properly.

It's unsurprising that riders think (mostly justifiably IMHO) that the speed limit isn't always the best guide to their riding behaviour.

Rule no. 1: breaking the law doesn't always mean you're a danger to society ... but it'll cost you if you get caught ...

- Guran

12. And many riders clearly do not know what a safe speed is for conditions, given the many single vehicle accidents riders have involving excess speed in a corner.
    What was your point?

Regards, Andrew.

13. My point was that a lot of riders, due to their ability to out-run traffic, feel they're licensed to break the limit - but not all of us are skilled or experienced enough to know our own limits. Sorry for the lack of clarity. :(

- Guran

14. Thanks for clarifying, I agree with your point. I didn't agree/understand the wording initially! :grin:
    I personally don't get the "have to rider 30km/h faster than everything else to stay safe" argument, considering the people who put it forward also have merged into stories, cut off several times daily stories, T intersection drivers did not see me stories etc.
    I ride around the limit (plus or minus 10k here and there) and never have any troubles, because I have time to assess threats and stay away/minimise them. I am not blinded by tunnel vision due to warp 9 travel.
    I will travel at comfortable speeds on clear open roads, but still not fast enough to lose my licence instantly, just where the bike's sweet spot is (4.5-5k rpm).

Regards, Andrew.

15. :beer:

We're in agreement then! I actually ride pretty much in traffic without a lot of effort to try and get clear, but I appreciate that skilled riders can do so pretty safely, as long as they allow for the fact that cagers around them may not be ready for their next move. I just can't see myself in that much of a hurry.

- Guran

16. glad you don't, but the sample allegedly interviewed here have missed the point (or else they didn't explain it properly) and it all got fcuked up.

I believe that what many (most?) people on bikes want is to stay ahead of the rest of the traffic. If you are doing 30km/h faster, you'll be pulling away at a great rate and just coming to the back of the next group. What you really want to be doing is getting ahead and staying there - which means that either all of you are speeding (cars included), or none of you are. Now tell the ATSB and the QUT lackies to jam that in their funk and wagnall and give us a reply.