Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Speed limits ahead for NT roads

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by JohnG., Nov 3, 2006.

1. Maybe the rent-a-car companies will now be able to afford to lower their amazing insurance excesses, too....
  2. 48% of fatalities are booze related so lets do something about the speed limits and not the drinking........................because they'll obey speed limits if they're drunk :roll:
  3. It's bollocks, I'm all for introduction of the points system as I do believe people get off too lightly up here. But why go and remove the open limits when they account for fcuk all of the fatalities or injuries?

Here's an excerpt someone worked out on an NT forum I'm on, from information published in the road study undertaken by the NTG.

Time will tell what happens...
  4. It's all political killswitch. So long as the NT serves to provide us with statistics that shows that no speed limits (really being that where the individual is allowed the freedom to decide upon a safe speed for the prevailing conditions) as opposed to an enforced speed limit allows for no net difference in the injury and death rate, then this common sense threat to the draconian law enforcement order of the southern states must be redressed and abolished.
  5. Oi!, I wuz gunna say that............. :p
  6. It's just bloody annoying! There are more important things to address than this. While yes, road deaths are horrible things and should be reduced wherever possible, this won't do it IMO.

The amount of money required to police the entire NT portion of the Stuart Highway is going to me massive. Many people travel from Darwin to Katherine as a means of commuting almost, and newer cars can do this safely enough, hell SS Commo's are geared almost perfectly for the road! :grin:
    In enforcing a speed limit, automotive manufacturers who come to the NT to test their cars at high speeds _legally_, at reduced cost to them as it isn't a track, are not going to come. Won't this have a negative effect on the economy? Likewise, what happens with the solar cars, I'm pretty sure they're capable of breaking 130km/hr? (I could be wrong though, so please inform me if I am).

Instead, spend the money on driver training - both tourists and locals, remove the drunks from driving by using a points system and much harsher penalties, and educate people of the dangers of piling 24 people into a troop carrier in some of the aboriginal communities!

yarrrrrrrrrrrgh :mad:

That probably got a bit irrational, but feck it. I'm just bloody annoyed :(
  7. 'Cause putting up speed signs would be a sh!tload easier....? :roll: :LOL:
  8. putting in speedlimits will mean people will be on the road for longer, which will greatly increase the risk of fatigue, which i would think up that way fatigue would be a far bigger problem then speed. Overall i rekon this will cause the fatality rate in the nt to raise, not lower.
  9. Lies, lies and statistics. You can read statistics any way you want to prove a case. TodayTonight are masters at it. So speed related deaths on unlimited roads make up much less of a percentage of total speed related deaths but where does that figure sit compared to the number of cars traversing roads in unlimited zones compared to speed limited zones. To take it to an extreme, 19 fatalities and 113 serious injuries occured in unlimited zones but maybe 132 people travelled in unlimited zones! So without qualifying the usage rates of the different zones, the figures are meaningless. You can only use the figures to prove your point if you make the assumption that the same number of people are using the unlimited and limited zones. I doubt this is the case as the reason why they have unlimited zones is because the areas are remote. As soon as you get into any sort of population density, speed limits are enforced. So in actual fact, compared to driving in limited zones, the fatality/serious injury rate per car on the road per day may be higher in the unlimited zones.

I have driven up there and have done the Katherine/Darwin run at between 130-180! Sure it is good fun. But I tell you that when a wild boar ran out onto the road from some low scrub when I was doing 160, if I hadn't managed to swerve, the impact at 160 compared to 110 would have been much more severe and more likely to cause a rollover. The result of any accident at 180 (or 240 which is what some of the blokes I know sit on) is going to be much more catastrophic.

This introduction of speed limits was always going to happen in the current climate of thinking reducing speed limits fixes everything.
  10. Nooo - if the NT brings in speed limits then it's probably only a matter of time before the Government starts looking at fitting 110kph speed limiters to all vehicles. Don't think it won't happen :eek:hno:.
  11. There are many ways around speed limiters - just ask any truckie.

Also, would a NT cop bother stopping you if you were not endangering anyone? I think this is just designed to give them the power to stop people who are being stupid.
  12. Not 100% on the topic, but...

Regarding solar cars, in this year's competition - the 20th anniversary - they've significantly changed the rules because they're getting so fast. They're starting to outpace the support vehicles, in fact! -

Now that it's been proven that reliable, fast solar cars can be built, the new goal of the race is to make solar cars which could be used as a comfortable daily commuter, rather than needing a midget driver and a team of people to help shoehorn them into the car.

That should drop their maximum speeds back a little... for another few years. :)
  13. When i was in year 11 in '96 or so (whoa, 10 years ago now!), i was part of the energy challenge (comp to make the most fuel efficient vehicle), our efi vehicle got an approximate equivalent of 300km/litre. That was no match for the japanese Honda team, 2000km/litre!!!

oh and i was in there due to the fact that that i didnt find out about the solar challenge team in time to join & do the alice>darwin run. our two drivers were about 5ft2 and 42-48 kilo's, max. They still let a few of us help with putting the new car together though

the car, as per the bottom, my (then) college managed to score the old car from aurora (pics & commentary here)
  14. I would fire any driver of mine who fiddled with his speed limiter. And we have electronic vehicle logging in the vehicles which tell us what the vehicles been doing anyway, so it would be pointless. Vehicle limiting is also about achieving budgeted fuel economy and tyre wear.

As for the NT cops... well maybe not at the moment, but give it a while for the culture to change and it'll happen. They said the same thing in Victoria when they brought in the open road limit... "It's just a guide, no one will book you for 10 or 15 k over (and they weren't back then), just don't go being stupid and you won't be booked for drifting a few k over".

Just look at it now though!