Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Speed limit review b/w Omeo & Mitta Mitta

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by hammy22, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Another blatent attack on the motorcycle community in my eyes.

Screenshot_20161011-115428.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Well there is your hint. EVERYONE ring that no. and say that you think the limit should be lifted to 110 km/hr

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. At least they're asking I guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. You've got less than 24 hours to make a submission.....

5. I am in Perth at the moment and can't get through on that No.

6. I was doing 5kph and fell off up that way :sneaky: (mind you I wasn't on the road)

HTF does dropping the limit really make it safer? Dickwads.

Its only a maximum limit, and half that road you wont be going anywhere near 100 clicks anyway, regardless of what a sign says.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stop fcuking crashing.....

• Like Like x 2
  8. I would of thought that 39 crashes over 5 years over 100 klicks of bends x a zillion motorcyclists is actually a pretty good average. I'm surprised there's been no deaths reported, that road is technical. The riverbanks too. (and mine certainly wasn't recorded - wasn't even on the road at the time)

Seems another storm in a teacup. These people need to find more to do with their pay cheques.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. The towards zero slogan is reference to the speed limit not the road toll i think...SMH

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  10. all we need is for us motorcyclists to stop crashing and triggering this sort of shit :p
    7 crashes in 5 years wouldn't batt an eyelid...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I haven't ridden that road, being one of the Northern Brethren in Baird's last bastion of liberty, freedom and Christian values where Men are Men and in bed early and certainly don't bet on greyhound racing. I wish you Southerners well in your struggle against this overbearing, nanny state, authoritarian bastardry. Vive la revolution.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Or making it look like they're asking before just going ahead and doing it anyway.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. So there is irrefutable proof that the majority of the 39 crashes was down to speed, that's pretty good investigative work they've put in to come to this conclusion. Why not put a pair of those distance cameras at the start and finish of the road ? Probably cheaper than changing all the road signs.

They tried to reduce from 100 to 90 kph all non-urban (sealed) roads down here in Tassie, here is an extract from the final report that probably can be related to the Omeo/Mitta Mitta road:

4. The majority of serious and fatal crashes on non-urban roads are attributable to a variety of causes in which speed is not a factor. This is supported by analysis completed by the RACT (as referred to in attachment 6 of its submission) and by statistical information provided by Tasmania Police;

5. There is currently a lack of reliable data collected by Tasmania Police and the Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources to justify the assumption that lowering the speed limit will achieve the expected road safety benefits;

6. A single initiative (such as reducing default speed limits) will not resolve the issue of road fatalities and serious crashes on Tasmanian roads;

7. Assertions that 100 serious injuries/fatalities will be avoided over 6 years lacks objective data and where such data does exist, its rigor and comparability to Tasmanian non-urban roads is questionable;

• Like Like x 5
  14. At this rate, we'll all be walking or riding horses at walking pace soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. their statistics are not conclusive - how many of the 32 m/c accidents involved speed greater than 80kmh? or p-platers or young road users etc...

basing a decision on the one statistic and deliberately making the assumption that slower speed is the solution makes this nothing but a great opportunity for the Vic government to start generating big bucks from speeding infringements - a trend that is happening everywhere but the road tolls keep rising (along with penalties collected) so obviously this solution is not one aimed at fixing the problem, but the $$ collected justify the argument.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. i sent them an email. suspect its like the yea to yarck section of road. 80kph. a 80 kph people tailgate you and are way to close

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. FYI the submission date has been extended As to when, i dont yet know! But keep getting into them :happy:

18. Give us a few more weeks and I can probably get you a cracking good deal on a buggy and a team of greyhounds.

19. It occurs to me that the powers that be down there are struggling with comprehension of the concept of a highway. Major arterial roads that connect towns should be well enough constructed that they can be driven safely at a reasonable speed. If you need to drop the speed limit to 80 on a highway, outside of a built up area, it's probably time to sack the engineers and managers who designed and specced the road and whichever minister is responsible for roads. Start writing to your MP and demanding that the road minister take responsibility for the incompetence of his department and resign. That might start to get the message across that they work for us and don't rule us by divine right. This bullshot of dropping speed limits on roads is essentially victim blaming. Blaming the people who crashed because the road was not built to a sufficient standard in the first place. The answer, assuming that the crashes are occurring in good conditions and at or below the speed limit, is improve the road. If the crashes are happening because people don't ride to the conditions then there is a need for education and maybe some improved engineering too. If the crashes are happening because people are way over the speed limit, then why are they punishing everybody else for the sins of the ones who would ignore the speed limit even if it was lower ? That makes as much sense as phucking for virginity or electing Donald Trump to make your country great.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. You're asking them to turn the interesting roads into freeways? I couldn't disagree more.