Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Speed limit creep

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by gegvasco, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Firstly, I'm not talking about the blokes behind the lasers guns.

I have noticed in NSW that while some areas are having their speed limits decreased outright(similar to the thread on Phillip Island), there is a lot of insidious "speed limit creep" ie. they don't change the speed limit, but they move where it starts and ends about 100m at a time on the slow side. I have really noticed it in the Blue Mountains where you can see where they have scarrified the old painted speed limits off the road surface. When in a 60, the 80 markings will be rubbed out and replaced 100m further up and vice versa when you come into a slower zone. It is happening all over the place. Another 100m of slower speed cannot have a direct effect on the road toll but I guess if you do it once a year, eventually you end up dropping the speed limit for the whole section. Which is obviously what they want to do but aren't willing to wear the outcry if they do the whole lot instantly.
  2. Unfortunately, that's been happening for ages...what can we do about it? It's sneaky and deceitful, but that's how they work.
    Is that a P3 wing photo as your avatar?

Regards, Andrew.
  3. Well done. Spot on. Taken from my former office window. Talk about million dollar view.
  4. The other insidious things that's been happpening for a while is when a piece of road is re-surfaced, they put down double-unbroken lines instead of what was there before.
  5. These are the same approach that NSW gov't has been doing during the time of Bob Carr, who didn't even have a driver's or rider's licence.
  6. I've watched the 60 & 80 zones on the "Albury" side of Benalla gradually head out of town over the last 20 years of regular visits (Winton is just up the road after all) but this is more a result of the town slowly growing larger than a conspiracy theory.
  7. That's a fair comment Paul, about speed limits, but it isn't the reason for the creep of double-unbroken lines. That's just about preventing overtaking except on two lane sections, but its actual result is to create long queues of frustrated drivers who'll eventually do something silly because of that frustration......
  8. Paul, painting double unbroken lines is by far the cheapest way to reduce the road toll! If people can't overtake, there are no head on collisions on that stretch of road! It doesn't matter if the road was very narrow, had heaps of potholes or whatever beforehand! It also doesn't matter if people don't know how to ovwetake anymore, if some can't, we all should suffer!
    Start thinking like a politician!
    It's actually one of my pet hates, double lines when I could overtake, wehther it be in car or bike.

Regards, Andrew.
  9. In Perth the Police have actually asked that a section of the Graham Farmer freeway leading into the tunnel have the speed limit raised from 80 to 90 to ease congestion. The Government response was to refuse to do so, and to suggest fixed speed cameras in the tunnel instead. I'm not sure what the logic is, but it's definitely not revenue raising cos' the gummint says it's not, and politicians don't lie........ :roll:
  10. Leaving Melbourne heading east on the Monash just after the Burnley tunnel, has anyone else noticed that the 100km/h sign has been moved so it's now quite some distance after the Burnley on-ramp.

I guess it's safer for people entering the freeway there to merge into traffic travelling closer to 80 klicks than 100, but it's another example of the trend.
  11. The highway after Pakenham was dropped from 110 to 100 for about the next 15k.

I'd be curious to know how many crashes occurred in the range 100-110 on that stretch. Most occur at speeds well in excess of 110. I don't think someone who's travelling at 150+ is going to think - gee, they've dropped it to 100 from 110, I'd better slow down :LOL:
  12. Probably the same logic as in Vicroads. The outgoing Chief Executive last week publicly admitted that Vicroads has a policy of deliberately engineering traffic congestion. He claims this decreases the payouts from the Traffic Accident Commission (how does this work? because "lower speeds mean less accidents"!!! ), and "encourages people to use alternative forms of transport" (read "increases profits for the governments buddies in the privatised public transport system" - IMHO).

Thanks. I'll remember that next time a raging cager pulls out in front of me in frustration!
  13. That is simply outrageous. :evil:
  14. I've seen things like this happen in Sydney. When the M2 was first opened, traffic light sequencing on Epping Rd was changed to make it a veeeery slow, frustrating trip. It was done to get motorists onto the M2. Interesting trivia, Epping Rd was once called Epping Hwy......
    You'd never notice it if you hadn't seen it before and after.

Regards, Andrew.
  15. This happened a few years ago, in a kneejerk reaction to a few consectuative accidents they had up there.

It's actually a really good example of how reducing speed limits can make it more dangerous. What they have done is moved all the 60 zones out either side of the twonships about 1km further. This has moved them into the few dual lane overtaking oportunities.

This means you can be stuck behind a slow moving vehicle all the way from Emu Plains to Lithgow. This sort of thing causes people to get frustrated and do silly an illegal things, just to get past.

The problem now is no-one in the public service would have the backbone to increase any speed limits and politicians don't have the balls to take the initiative on it.

16. Engineering traffic snarls - from the Herald Sun 6 August 2006
    MOST motorists have come to accept the "Wipe off 5" campaign. As much as slower travel can be frustrating, safety benefits seem clear.

But drivers have a right to be perplexed, and exasperated, if traffic snarls have been manufactured as a safety vehicle.

Leaving VicRoads after five years in the driver's seat, chief executive David Anderson has made astonishing admissions.

The most bizarre is that VicRoads works to cut crashes by making roads choked.

"We've used congestion to stop crashes. We've created congestion," he says.

At a conference opened by his boss, Transport Minister Peter Batchelor, Mr Anderson asked: "Is it better to have fewer crashes or is it better to have freer traffic?"

Mr Anderson's answer? "We're going with fewer crashes at the moment."

Fewer road deaths is what we all want, but this reasoning is simplistic.

Slowing traffic saves lives. Reduce it to walking pace and the toll would fall to zero.

17. It seems somebody in the WA government reads the Herald Sun.....
  18. Really Typhoon? Epping Hwy? :) I live near a former hwy then! The traffic on the former hwy these days is unbearable, I think that narrow little bottle neck bridge in epping has nothing to do with that though ;).

Yes apparently the traffic lights on Victoria Rd are deliberatelly set to delay commuting into city coz the CBD can only take a certain number of cars at a time. Way to plan ahead, eh?
  19. I have had experience of an increased speed limit. Near the Yallourn open cut when you came off the freeway at the Hearnes Oak exit you came down from 100k to a short 80k stretch.

I got booked for doing 90 there one morning on the way to work and got a safety lecture from the bastard of a bike cop who used to be stationed in Gippsland back then about how speed limits were for a reason. About a week after I paid the fine the limit was put up to 100 :evil:

It wasn't the fine I resented - it was the stupid safety lecture by the pr1ck. He was one of the nastier cops I've ever encountered. I suspect Martin probably knows the "gentleman" I mean.

He got his come uppance though - he was the one who antagonised the truckies so much that when they saw his bike parked outside the public toilets in Yarragon, one of them padlocked the door shut with him inside. :LOL: :LOL:

20. Yeah it's pretty obvious they are doing it in Sydney too. You drive or ride along the M5 of a morning and you see road setouts that are just dumb.

You know, poor mergers and silly limits, etc. Stuff that could easily be fixed with a bit of paint.

But you then have to ask yourself the consequences of better traffic flow in Sydneys south-west, towards the city. . . . .