Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Speed cams: is there a way to find out

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Cheeba, Feb 21, 2010.

1. if you were caught on one before you receive notifcation in the mail?

2. Nope. Not that I know of, just gotta wait for that letter to arrive.

3. Now begins the wait, My sympathy but there are too many variables to call.

Other vehicles in shot.
    3kph reduction to allow for inaccuracies.

I guess from your reaction you were more than a little over the limit.

Demerit Point Offences

Vic Roads Penalties and Fines (PDF)

To find out how many points you currently have on your license
    Call VicRoads on 13 11 71 and follow the prompts.

Good Luck.

4. Yep - a 45 minutes of stupidity could well have put me over 25kmph over the limit. Basically it was on a slip road, gave it a blip and saw in my mirror that there was a camera on the back of the motorway sign. Unfortunately it was the second loop I noticed it so I could be off the bike for a couple of months - my own stupid fault really. I would imagine any notification would be received within a month?

March is going to be horrible.

5. Victoria, whatever other faults it has, at least allows us to learn from our mistakes. Any other speed cameras you activate before this infringement notice lands on your doorstep will be invalid.

so, until you get this notice ----- GO FOR IT!!!

6. This is totally incorrect.
    You will and can recieve multiple infringements at any one time.
    IGNORE this advice.

7. okay Tramp - I'm wrong. I bow to your greter knowledge.

I'm sure I remember reading either on the VicRoads or VicPol web sites that in the case of multiple infringements in a short time, only the first would be acted upon. This was somewhere near the information on Second Chance for <10kmh speeding but looking today I can't find the information

8. Yup, ignore this advice. The only case where I have heard of fines being waived is on roads like the Geelong freeway where it is possible to get done by multiple cameras, on the one road, on the same trip at the same speed.

Even then, I wouldn't bank on it.

9. I was almost right

from http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=10369

Multiple Infringements
    Victoria Police has recently implemented guidelines regarding the enforcement of multiple speed camera infringements issued to drivers detected at low speeds within certain freeway/highway zones.

These guidelines are being adopted to ensure that drivers are being afforded the opportunity to positively alter their driver behaviour, without being penalised by multiple infringements.

Note: These guidelines do not apply to mobile speed camera detections or fixed speed/red light safety cameras at intersections.

For the purpose of these guidelines, a Low Speed Infringement (LSI) is a speed of less than 10 km/h above the posted speed limit.

The discretion to be applied to multiple low speed infringements relates to:

Those within a given 24-hour period.
    Those received over a period of several days, prior to the driver becoming aware of the first issued infringement.

10. Well this was the same camera, within 45-60 minutes at approximately the same speeds. Yes, my knobhead quotient was running very high on Saturday morning :(

I think I'll be looking at one or two months off the steed.

11. I have not done it for years, but i would go to a cop shop and ask them if they can have a look for me. Never had anyone say no. Like i said it was a while ago.

Don't do it if you have outstanding warrents

12. Cheers oztom, it's worth a go I guess :)

13. If the camera is one of the old crusty ones, then theres a high chance that theres no camera unit inside, but it still flashes. I got flashed a few times last year by old rusting cameras, and still have no fines to date...
    Although on one of them I saw the camera too late, and fishtailed the back under heavy braking, so the angle to see the number plate may have been off :D

14. It's just a large box with a blacked out slit for the lenses I guess. I might try and get a pic of it.

15. Sorry to revive an old thread, but what does this apply to? I THINK I got flashed (hope not) doing very little over the limit by a camera on a pole, will this apply in this case?

Cheers :nopity:

16. This is the interesting bit... tell me more. Could be important.

17. blah need to look for second pages next time.

In regards to the above, the assessed speed is 7km/h over for 40-90 zones and 8km/h over for 100/110 zones. The legislated limit of error is 3km/h or 3%, thus for example in an 80 zone the cameras are set to 87 and above and your ticket is issued to 84 or above.

The flashes that people refer to are commonly part of the test sequence of mobile cameras. Just because it flashes, doesn't mean you get a ticket, nor does it even mean there was a car in the picture at the time.

18. Cheers froggy for the answer, hope you're right mate.

19. Can this be applied to remove demerits after the fact? I got fined 2 years ago, twice on the same day within 2 hours of each other, same camera, same location, in the car.... I'd like to free up some stress on my license.... :)